Just wondering....   more than 30,000 members.  At most, I am guessing 20 or 30 or so post discussions or get involved in discussion.  Not that I keep track.

That's the size of a mega-church.  Sorry for the analogy.  It's about the size of the town where I grew up.  Also not a good analogy, that town was a sorry excuse for an over-sized septic tank.    Let's just say it's a lot of people.

Anyway, I wonder what happens for the folks who sign on and don't post.  I hope this site is useful for them.  I suppose if 30,000 people were all posting and discussing it would be kind of overwhelming.  Maybe page-views generate some funding for the site?

I also wonder about people who used to be very active, then....   poof!  vanished!  There are a bunch of them.  Did they get bored?  Found Jesus?  Get busy and no longer had time?  Found peace with being atheist, the need was met, move on?

Just speculating.  I sometimes welcome new members hoping to inspire involvement, and others do a lot more of that than I do.

Tags: Atheist Nexus, members, membership, past members, silent members

Views: 1039

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Spud, from my own relationship, he just isn't interested.  His primary identification is with his Chinese family and origins, and he is online a lot staying connected there.

A better question is why does my interest sustain?  I don't know.  I really feel like people here are my friends, I've never had atheist friends or family, I am surrounded by religious people and religious comments every day, and this is really a stimulating environment for me.

Michael, I also cant tell you how to neuter your cat.  And I'm no Einstein or Tyson.  Although Tyson's face tattoo is interesting, and he seems to have turned around since quitting prize fighting.

Joan, those all sound valid to me.  I'm horrified about the phone call you received.  Truly horrified.  For some of those issues, that is why I use a nom de internet.  Because it would not be possible for me to speak freely here, while people are looking over my shoulder from my day to day and professional world. 

Daniel, I have been called so many names since 1974, I should have kept track of them because they were really funny, looking back on them. At the time I cried. My former father-in-law told me I was a baaaaad woman and he bleated it as a sheep would bleat. My former mother-in-law cald me some name I can't even remember now, but I was devastated. My father told me I wasn't strong enough to take the beatings ... meaning he was disappointed in me. My mother hated me because I left and paid the price for leaving. She had divorced my father twice, married him three times. It wasn't until she read a copy of my master's thesis, Toward a Theory of Family Violence, that she understood what I was doing. My aunt told me to get out of her house because was telling the truth about my father's brutality direct3d toward my mother. 

Others have called me names as I marched for feminist, or black, or gay causes. So what. Their name calling said more about them than about me. I have a photo on my wall of the whites screeching at blacks as they walked in the public schools with that bantam rooster of a governor being pushed aside by U.S. marshals.

My skin is so thick, it is like cowhide.  I thought things through very carefully and know what is fair, just, and right for me without causing others harm. The wonderful people on this site challenge me when I think fallaciously, and give me ideas they support with reason and evidence. 

When I was in my doctoral training at Gonzaga, my advisors and professors were mostly priests. I was writing my dissertation, A Splendid Heresy, in which I demonstrated how the church maintains and perpetuates violence against women, and keep women in a powerless, dependent, subordinate state. They harshly criticized my work. I wrote and re-wrote until I could get the language that would satisfy them, get me an "A" grade and I remained true to my notion that women have rights and responsibilities and men have no authority to pass judgement on me. I am pro-woman, pro-choice, anti-religion, and hold anti-domination/submission beliefs. I completed my training and received only "A"s in all my classes. When it came down to the degree, they refused to give me a doctoral degree because I did not vomit out their rhetoric. One of my priest-committee members told me I had come closest to changing his mind about contraception and abortion as anyone had. I asked my committee how they could deny their sexuality, wear dresses and refuse to give me my earned doctoral degree.  No answer that made any sense was forthcoming.

I am grateful to the institution of the Roman Catholic church for not awarding me my earned degree because it provided just one piece of evidence that the institution of the RC church is closed minded, fail to meet the needs of modern women and men, and do not provide a viable alternative to a better way to live life.  

Joan, you are one amazing person.  I appreciate hearing more of your story.

Jerry, thanks for your kind words. Life hands you a lemon, make pickled lemons. 

theburningmonk, I hope to learn more of your story. I have a feeling you have a story that needs to be told. Thank you for your nice comment. 

Joan, anyone who has the piss-poor judgment to call you a "bad woman" doesn't know shit from Shinola.  As for the jackasses at Gonzaga who wanted to give their unqualified appraisal of your handiwork, it is more than obvious that they suffered from their own presuppositions, biases and indoctrinations, either childhood or adult.  They were SCARED of you, the primary and possibly the dominant reason why they would not grant you a doctorate, scared because they hadn't the cojones to recognize the truth of your arguments and that you were the one on the rock and they were the ones on the sand.

Give it time.  That sand is becoming QUICK, if you catch my meaning.  It's happening even as we speak.

Loren, I agree, I am really optimistic about what is happening, not only within this group and between groups, but in the undercurrent of people getting ready to take thought and action. I am very encouraged. 

I am also surprised that I still have buttons that get pushed. I really don't need to blow people away. 

Thank you for your encouragement and support. 

Sentient.....I agree with you, that is also  why  I do not use my real name.....I have  heard  so many horror stories of how people take advantage and  steal identity etc that I prefer  to remain  anonymous.......Also   it gives  me the freedom to really open up about   anything  that may interest  me in the forums  and blogs.....I assumed  when  I joined  not that long ago, that we,the Atheist Nexus  members,  would  mainly  be  talking about  Atheism.......To my surprise  I found  myself getting  really involved  in  politics......Funny, when I was a child, I was told  to  always  stay away  from  discussing  Religion and Politics...however  that is all I am discussing  in here..LOL.......I am not complaining it is just  some  members  have  very  different  views  on politics  than me.......This results  in some  heated  debates...though it can get  me  all riled  up I do enjoy  the interaction and hope  anyone  reading  this will not take  any  personal  offense from my  diatribes.......As far  as  seeing  more  members,  I was  dumbfounded to hear   we have  so many  and  I also  wonder why  we only  see maybe  30 or so......I have noticed   a  very  large  number of  Views at the bottom  of  each forum and blog...So my guess is  that  most  members will read  what  we have  written  but choose  not to  reply.....This is  strictly a freedom of  choice and  we should  respect  that.......

Patricia, you say you are "not well-eduated" and I experience you as a wise and thoughtful person. You have opinions and state them clearly. I don't have to wonder what you write because you write distinctly. Your food and recipes work for me and your graphic art delight me. I look forward to learning how you like Ubuntu and am very glad you are out of Microsoft and Windows. 

Your husband is a jewel, with his beautifully designed garden and greenhouse. 

I am the same way with the phone..I absolutely hate having to get on the phone. I'm probably one of the few people left in the country that doesn't own a cell phone.

Are you a breast cancer survivor? My wife is, and she developed hoshimoto's disease and had to have her thyroid removed. The thyroid is in the neck (sorry if you already know this) and the surgeon nicked, and partially paralyzed one of her vocal chords. She was also recently diagnosed with Myastenia Gravis with one of the symptoms being vocal function issues. She can talk, but as the day goes on her voice gets weaker, sometimes to the point of it being nothing more than a hoarse whisper (she sounds like she has laryngitis).

I hope you find out what you voice issue is. We've learned to keep insisting that the doctor keep looking until they figure out what the problem is.It took 2-1/2 years and about 20 doctor visits to the Myastenia Gravis diagnosis.

I hate the phone too.  I thought I was some sort of...  I don't know, Neanderthal? - but I am not talkative, I don't hear well, I like seeing the other person for their body language and I might be doing some non-conscious lip reading to enhance my bad hearing.  

I do have a cell phone,  Texting is good when it's hard to hear

You're not alone! I know a few phone haters as well (a woman and a couple of men) who are fine with conversations in person. One friend says he'd prefer to drive an hour to meet someone face-to-face rather than have a social phone conversation! I don't mind using texts, instant messages, and email with them when we're not together.

My own preference is to hear someone's voice.

(Another possible aspect: text-based communication isn't as demanding of our sustained attention in the same way that a voice conversation is. You can take your time to reply.)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service