Whenever I come out Atheist .. they assume I must have no ethics or morals whatsoever and that I am willing to do just about anything --- like lie, cheat and steal.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Views: 3547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow Ted, that must be so hard to take.  I'm sorry you have to deal with that.  I'm glad we all have Atheist Nexus!~Melinda

So glad that you found us!

For goodness sake, how has your sister survived? She has so many challenges facing her. It sounds like her 8-year old son is developing nicely. Has there been any problems that he hasn't been able to handle? 

Typically, I find that this is only the case if someone doesn't already know me.  People that know what kind of person I am don't suddenly question my morals when they find out I'm an atheist.  People (in general) do seem surprised to find out I'm an atheist.  I suppose they are expecting baby-eating maniacs.  We're just regular people!

Staci this person didn't really know me well. But they made a value judgement of me because I'm a non-believer.

Right, I try to do that as well. I don't always succeed. But I do try.

Am I the only person here who is genuinely evil? jk ;)

That depends, of course, on who you ask :).

I'm continually astonished by how arguments that would be considered innocuous in any other context are worthy of vilification if they touch on religion.  I've recently been called strident, pedantic and intolerant, and accused of taking myself too seriously by fellow atheists for merely suggesting that religion tends to stifle discussion.  Apparently there is some special clause hidden in the contract for being human in which any implied criticism of spiritual beliefs broaches a taboo.

South Carolina is not Wazooistan, and my dear neighbors are cutting my head off only metaphorically rather than physically.  But is this the best that we can expect from 21st century America?

}}}}

All you can really require of others is tolerance, not acceptance or approval. It's not intolerant to disapprove of someone's lifestyle, that's everyone's American right. As far as religious discussion goes, atheists tend to approach those with superior absolutest attitudes that breeds confrontation. That's not to say that the religious don't do this often, but we can only change our own behavior. A calm controlled voice goes a long way in diffusing any tense argument/discussion.

"Those who cannot hear an angry shout may strain to hear a whisper.” Spock

That's my nerd quote of the day.

Oh hi James! You have such wonderful things to say. Such wisdom. I just love Star Trek and Spock happens to be a favorite character of mine. Anyway, I love the quote. Tolerance is needed for getting along with others. I agree. We all could try to be more tolerant of others. Myself included.

I love this quote!
"Those who cannot hear an angry shout may strain to hear a whisper.” Spock

Good point Jonathan.

come out? as an American with Constitutional rights? OK? ok ok ok
just ask em' "What's the name of your god?"

that always blows... their minds

peace!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service