Whenever I come out Atheist .. they assume I must have no ethics or morals whatsoever and that I am willing to do just about anything --- like lie, cheat and steal.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Views: 3487

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

With respect to morals I've found that I have to gradually let the person know where I stand. Many people including myself were trained in the churches that we grew up in to associate "atheist" with people that believed there was God but wanted to plot against him and his followers.

I've had more success with a gradual coming out.; let the person get to know me and then letting them know that I find more and more to be questionable. Unfortunately that's not always easy to do here in the bible belt where Yahweh get's worked into every conversation. 

Thank you Thinking Sapien - and yes that's not always easy to do.

Yes that's what makes it hard to tell others you are Atheist. I can understand that. But I think they need to accept you for who you are Ethan.

That is good to hear Ethan. I'm glad she likes you for who you are.

True story- when i told one of my uncles (while drunk) that i was an atheist he said to me: "so does that mean your gay?" as an atheist and an lgbt ally i was offended. from his look he seemed to imply that their is something wrong with being gay and that their is something wrong with being an atheist also.

I always ask the question:  If religion equals morality then why isn't the middle east like Disneyland and why aren't our prisons overfowing with atheists?

I like that question!  Going to "borrow" it.

Oh right P. J. - that's is a great question. Many believers equate being religious with being a good person. And therefore think that no religion = bad evil person.

Well Steph, you can get them to read 

"Good Without God" by Greg Epstein

Or point them to the website:

http://harvardhumanist.org/good-without-god/

Or the humanist sites:

http://www.goodwithoutgod.org.uk/

Or simply print off a collection of relevant material into a sort of flyer or newsletter to hand out to those who make such comments.

I'm a cheeky brat and will quite willingly get right into their space and in their face.

But the suggestions I gave would be for a more reserved, less confrontational approach.

Because I enjoy confrontation, whereas you might not.

Here's a good site to print out for them to read or to send to those doubters:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2011-07-31-atheis...

It's very well written.

Best of luck, though things will change, we'll make damn sure it does!

Intelligence is on our side, that's a start! 

Thanks GOD'aye - I have heard about that book. Thanks for the links too.

Well it's sooo much better being a nonbelieve now than it was 40 or 50 years ago.I've mentioned my atheist testimony to my brother and sister.My brother wasn't that surprised,but my sister is,says I've backslided!

We still talk though.Btw I've gotten into a discussion with a pastor about angels.My question to him was if angels appeared 2 to 3,000 years ago my not in our time? He admitted he didn't have a good answer for that,only that angels ocassionally appeared back in ancient times. I really appreciated that he really listened to me and didn't come across as a smug Christian.

I agree Paul it is much better for us non-believers now. I am hoping as we come out as Atheists and more people get to know us - things will improve.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service