Whenever I come out Atheist .. they assume I must have no ethics or morals whatsoever and that I am willing to do just about anything --- like lie, cheat and steal.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Views: 3588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I took the face to mean contemplation and thinking.

By compassion we make others' misery our own, and so, by relieving them, we relieve ourselves also
Thomas Browne, Sr.

Read more: http://www.finestquotes.com/select_quote-category-Compassion-page-0...

The question is not what you look at, but what you see.
~ Henry David Thoreau

I like this. 

Steph, Makes good sense. 

I found this compelling quote at your recommended site:

"We often think of peace as the absence of war; that if the powerful countries would reduce their arsenals, we could have peace. But if we look deeply into the weapons, we see our own minds - our prejudices, fears, and ignorance. Even if we transported all the bombs to the moon, the roots of war and the reasons for bombs would still be here, in our hearts and minds, and sooner or later we would make new bombs. Seek to become more aware of what causes anger and separation, and what overcomes them. Root out the violence in your life, and learn to live compassionately and mindfully."
It is difficult to have compassion for those who bring so much pain and suffering into the world. But of course Thich Nhat Hanh speaks wisely.  

Peace is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice.
-- Harrison Ford, "Air Force One"

Awesome quote Loren!

This quote is so evocative I went digging for more information. I ran across this site that evokes powerful images of the Irish conflict and solutions that may be working. The writer used this quote in a longing for peace. 

Posted by genvessel under community thoughts, rambling thoughts, re...

Isn't that a fantastic site Joan! I just love it. I go there all the time to look at quotes.

I am not a Buddhist either, even as some of the teachings helped me sort out and offer options I had not thought of. My problem is the mysticism that comes with the package, the magic and supernatural that can be explained as having other causes or were fabricated in the minds of humans. My experience with Buddhists is that some of them are as bad as Christian, Muslim, Jewish in their story telling. I like stories, but to give an imagined story to explain natural phenomenon seems over the edge.  

I agree Davey that Hanh is a good representative of Zen Buddhism.
I thought that was a lovely quote.

Wow, this really took off without me!

I'm sorry it seems like I ditched you all -- I promise I did no such thing! My Internet wasn't being agreeable, you see...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service