Whenever I come out Atheist .. they assume I must have no ethics or morals whatsoever and that I am willing to do just about anything --- like lie, cheat and steal.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Views: 3539

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know this sounds different, however, learned dependence does no one any good. Of course the very young need supervision, but not to be trained as one would train a dog or a seal. We don't want to raise children, we raise adults. I think we all know adults who never could catch on to the trick of growing into adults.  

Yes you are right. I do know some people who never really grew up. They still act like kids.
Come to think of it religion is learned dependence. I had not thought of it that way. Religion as a crutch is not good, I agree.

Steph, I didn't realize that either. I was kind of like a goldfish swimming round and round in a fish bowl, not recognizing water. I swam in the bowl of religion and didn't recognize it's limitations placed upon me until I became aware. That fish has no such opportunity. 

Joan that is exactly what happened to me. I did not recognize religions' true harm until I was out of it and looking at it from "outside the box".

Steph, We are legion!

LEGION 3: a very large number : multitude

Merriam-Webster 

Yes, we are legion and I actually new the definition of the word without the Webster link. But I do appreciate the link because I love looking up words. Sometimes ones I already know.

We are ALL BORN ATHEISTS ... so modeling religious belief as a learned dependence is a perfectly valid supposition.

Loren and Davey, I absolutely agree with you 100%, modeling racial bias  is a leaned behavior as well, babies aren't born believers and practitioners.

That is very correct Loren. We are born Atheist and then indoctrinated unfortunately.

Davey, Your ramble is responsible, reasonable, rational and thoughtful! Thanks!

Oh dear, I didn't mean to use a prayer looking face, but a contemplative one. Oh well, contemplating an idea doesn't necessarily mean prayer. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service