Whenever I come out Atheist .. they assume I must have no ethics or morals whatsoever and that I am willing to do just about anything --- like lie, cheat and steal.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Views: 3586

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shawn, quick thinking and well delivered. I have trouble remembering details to defend my perspective and would often end up looking the fool. I am not a logical type thinker and rely on my gut feeling and that is just too anemic for a good debate. I found help from:

Aronra The Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism -- Complete Series

The first video of this album is the entire set fiollowed by separate videos for each fallacy. 

Also, Christopher Hitchens, oh dear, my computer locked up again. I can't get to the citation without erasing this note. Just look him up and you will find many articles, videos and books that help to make a logical argument. That won't make a difference with a believer, but it may give you more ideas. Good job! 

Wow thanks Joan for that great website link.

Thank you I enjoy all the ideas given here. I think It will help others reading the discussion as well.

My computer died after sending that message and I am on an old computer that has none of the bells and whistles of my MacBook. Let's see if this old computer can take the wear and tear until repairs are completed.  This keyboard is awful.

My computer is back and working like a charm! and I am happy.

Glad to see you happy Joan. Everything fixed!

I have a MacBook myself and I love it!

Ethics and equity and the principles of justice do not change with the calendar.
David Herbert Lawrence

"Morally depraved because I came out atheist."

Bombarded with, what I perceive as insults, when people imply I have no ethics or morals if I am an atheist, or some other obnoxious statement, I have automatic questions I ask them, not to defend me, but to challenge them. Here are just a few examples:

Do you think god made earth for man or man made god?

Did god make color for human eyes or did human eyes evolve to see color?

If god created all things, why are we expected to praise him? 

If Jesus could heal a blind man, why could he not prevent blindness? 

If Jesus could cast out spells, why could he not prevent spells in the fist place? 

Why does one have to pray, when all things are possible with god? 

If god created man, why does man have to admit to being a sinner?

If god made humans sexual, why is sexuality so bad or evil? 

If god created man sexual, why is sex denied priests and nuns? 

If god created sexuality, why does he expect man to repress sensuality? 

If god created man from dust, why did he create man to die? 

If god created man to suffer, why did he create suffering? 

Why does religion misrepresent origins of man and cosmos? 

Why does god expect man to deny or delude himself about the age of the Earth? 

When faced with judgments and predictions of my burning in eternal fire, these questions reflect back to them questions of my own.  

Thank you so much Joan.
Those are great questions I can challenge them with. Very thought provoking.
I appreciate your reply.

If I may sir, I would like to add the following;

God answers each and every prayer, just in his time, not in ours. We may have to wait til we get to heaven, but rest assured, he will answer them all.

And;

As any parent sometimes says no to thier child, so to does our heavenly father have to say no to us. We will find the answers when we stand before him. He is forever loving, and knows what is best for us.

Thank you for letting me put in my pennys worth.

Great! You guys make me laugh ... even as I am mad as hell. 

You are so clever. I bet you can come up with some dandy questions! Go ahead, give it a try.!

I like this idea! It gives me new challenges  and opportunity for clarity. Let me be clear, I am not interested in changing anybody's mind but I am interested in keeping them out of the public domain. When I learn that I am going to burn in hell from smart, intelligent person, I just want to know their answers and challenge them to think about what they believe. 

The 6,000 year old earth would be funny if it didn't have ramifications in all our lives. Creationism in school science classes is another that just wrankles me. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service