Whenever I come out Atheist .. they assume I must have no ethics or morals whatsoever and that I am willing to do just about anything --- like lie, cheat and steal.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Views: 3555

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey there! You're so funny! Hope you have a nice weekend!

Yeah, I agree. I am funny lookin'. You do the same!!!

You have a nice sense of humor ... Lol
Thank you all for contributing. I'm really impressed by the wonderful replies I received here. They have been helpful!
This is something I'm still pondering. It seems some people need god to keep them in check. I equate it to a child who only behaves only because they're scared of being disciplined. It's amazing how fast some people jump to "Oh you don't believe in god?  Youre an evil person!"
Yes, Shawn this is exactly the attitude I am talking about. Like you say, they think if you don't believe in god then you must be evil. So I have been studying ethics and behavior. What makes us ethical? And how we come by our moral system.

Steph, can you keep us posted on what you discover? What makes us ethical? How do we come by our moral system? 

I would love to Joan! This is an important topic to me.
I think we develop morals through interaction with society. We develop a moral code based on how we affect others. I don't think anyone needs an invisible sky daddy to tell them taking someones life is wrong. 
Yes, no one needs invisible father in the sky. And I agree that morals are learned by being in a society.
Respect and treat others well !
I like to turn the tables right back around on em. I was was told by a friend  told me "some of the worst atrocities in history were committed by atheists". So now I see she's trying to use a blanket statement to accuse all atheists of being immoral. Without pause I told her, "Well Timothy McVeigh was a Christian. Does that mean that you are going to kill people based on the fact you are a Christian as well?" She got real quiet. 
What a great reply Shawn! I'll have to try that next time. There are all sorts of Xtian atrocities I could cite as an example.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service