Whenever I come out Atheist .. they assume I must have no ethics or morals whatsoever and that I am willing to do just about anything --- like lie, cheat and steal.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Views: 3534

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awww how sweet! A picture of a smiley holding a coffee cup.

I just drank my French Vanilla coffee too!

i feel more moral than my theist freinds because i am a good moral person because i think it is the right way to live not because of promise of reward or fear of punishment stay strong

I also feel more moral than theists. Yes, we are good and ethical without having to be bribed into promise of rewards in heaven.

@ Davey Lee, I agree with you.  I also think theists can't believe they aren't special, except to those that love and care about them.

It's true that your son is making more of a sacrifice than the firefighters that are theists because he knows this is his only life. Therefore, this one life is the only one he has and is very special.
I agree it is hard to tell theists that there is no heaven. I think that afterlife concept prevents many of them from leaving their religion. They want to think of themselves as immortal.

Davey, Very beautifully, powerfully, wisely stated. 

May I presume to add that the basic, fundamental errors of religions are: SourceURL:file://localhost/Users/joandenoo/Documents/00%20Denoo,%20Joan%20writings/six%20basic%20errors%20are.doc

1.  God created man in god’s image. - Anthropocentrism

2.  God created man, male, in his male, god image. - Sexism

3.  God created the white race superior to other races. - Racism

4.  God created man to have dominion over all that swims, crawls, flies. - Dominionism

5.  God created man to worship the “one true god.” - Exceptionalism

6.  God is sovereign – Theocentrism

7. God created man to obey - I don't know what label to put on that one. 

Please feel free to add other errors I overlooked. 

Hey Joan!

Thanks for that wonderful post on the fundamental errors of religions. I had not seen that yet.

I sure do appreciate it!

I'm glad you like this piece, Steph. I developed the concept when working with battered women who were in prison in the 1980s. It helped them to recognize how their cultural expectations bound them to submission by imposing religious imperatives to which they felt required to submit. The resulting anxiety and depression and frustration led them to make stupid choices not in their self-interest. Most of their offenses were doing things their lovers or husbands demanded of them, thefts, drugs, etc. They seemed not able to distinguish right from wrong or make decisions about things not in their self interest. 

Imagine, if you will, a woman being put down, discounted, trivialized, believing that her man was a god-head and that she was to submit to him as her head. She thought he had the right to domination her and her responsibility was to submit. Distorted? By all means, but that is the way religious dogma used against vulnerable women works.  

The 7th error came to me recently as I was trying to put into words the role of obedience in dominance, why it was so powerfully used against women.

I decided against teaching obedience to authority to my children, except in issues like running into the street or safety. I didn't want my children to learn to obey orders from some other power or person. I wanted them to learn how to think for themselves and make decisions without submitting to authority. 

They are great problem solvers and conflict resolvers; they had to learn the skills required to make good decisions very early and those skills serve them well as adults. 

I suppose that will be in your book Joan. I agree that theist women are taught to be submissive.

Ok well that explains it.

If god/goddess made made man to obey, he/she made a mistake. Free thought. Does anyone think he/she couldn't see that coming. Not a smart move on his/her part unless he/she just likes to cause pain.

I agree Jonathan. I was raised that women were not to be equal with men. It really bothered me even as a theist.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service