Whenever I come out Atheist .. they assume I must have no ethics or morals whatsoever and that I am willing to do just about anything --- like lie, cheat and steal.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Views: 3542

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh cool! You are right Chris. Thanks for the advise. I'll try that one too.

Better you. They recommend a shrink for me every time I reveal am atheist.

Jabal, In my humble opinion, a "shrink" may be needed by those who believe god exists. 

Thank you all for your help, support and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Don't let it get you down.  We all need to deal with people are just pinheads.  As long as mankind has lived, pinheads have walked among them.  Just remind yourself why you're Atheist, because you're smarter than they are.

Thank you Chris! That helps!

Hey Jonathan, what's keeping you up so late? Or perhaps it's not so late where you are. I'm quite certain there are many such fundamentalists who would be homicidal maniacs without the fear of god, and probably even more because of their irrational fears. I certainly wouldn't argue that having religion around is a good thing because of the number of people kept "straight" who might otherwise run rampant. But that's the beauty of the response, because whether they would or would not be wildly immoral without fear of god, or expectation of reward from god, they certainly can't say that the only thing keeping them in line is their beliefs without giving themselves away. Even the hint that people can't remain good without god casts their whole character into doubt, and enables us to respond accordingly (promptly running away might be the most prudent course of action at this peculiar moment).

Hey Jonathan! I don't mind getting messages from you in my inbox. I enjoy hearing about you. Maybe you could start a discussion on sharing challenges. I'd love to read it.

Jonathan, I didn't mean blindness has anything to do with atheism. I mean because you are blind have you developed other senses? For example, since you weren't out playing baseball as a child, did you spend more time thinking or listening or whatever? 

Did you think about such things as god or no-god? Did you ask "Why me?" and did you find an answer?  

One study, "Do the auditory skills of the visually impaired compensate for their loss of sight?" found, "part of the brain that normally handles vision does not just die or atrophy without input. It somehow adds functionality to process subtle auditory information." 

Did atheism offer any benefit or play any role in your facing you challenges? 

Who is the elite?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service