Whenever I come out Atheist .. they assume I must have no ethics or morals whatsoever and that I am willing to do just about anything --- like lie, cheat and steal.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Views: 3547

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah .. I've heard that one too. That is a good suggestion.

Just remember that you should never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you on experience ;-)

Bear in mind also that people often seek reaction, therefore by just shrugging off their comments and carrying on as normal they'll probably forget it fairly quickly.

You have to choose your battles in life and I don't think that comments like that are worth your time to deal with.

Just my 2p.

Thanks ChrisC. I agree with you. Arguing is just not worth it. Yes, those type of people are just trying to provoke a reaction in you. Oh .. you have wisdom!

you should never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you on experience

My new favorite quote!

Mine too!

:-D My pleasure. I can't claim it as my own unfortunately - a good friend of mine told me it a few years ago.

Everyday. Its like because I don't believe in a god I have no moral compass. It proves to me that they truly are closed minded sheep.

Thank you Bill I appreciate that. They are truly close minded sheep.

That's so true Jonathan.  I think they are the harshest critics because they don't, won't, can't, listen to other peoples opinions, weigh the evidence, and THEN give their educated opinion.  They just KNOW what they believe is right because 'god' wrote it in the bible.

I never finished college, but I am intelligent, open-minded, and educate myself on many subjects constantly.  There are so many resources that make it so easy.  So, I would say, not just educated in the sense of having a degree (because there are many close-minded people with degrees who are smart only in the subject their degree is in) but also open-mindedness, and a willingness to learn all your life...

Oh no Jonathan, I wasn't offended and I didn't think you meant it that way.  I knew what you were saying!  I just tend to clarify everything, I guess it's a bad habit! lol, but it comes from educating people about my Son's (17 1/2) type 1 diabetes.  It's an auto-immune disease, not a lifestyle disease, and type 2 is so prevalent these days that people just say DIABETES like it's one type.  They say dumb things to us like, well if he'd eat healthier and exercise it would go away.  It makes me so mad.  I'm like NO, his body killed the insulin-producing cells in his body, and the only way he can NOT be on an insulin-pump is if they find a CURE.

See?  I'm educating again! LOL.

Anyway, don't worry about it for a minute! ~ Melinda

Steph:

I recently moved back to my Bible belt birthplace (South Carolina), and have found myself walking on eggs much of the time.  I didn't at first -- just spoke my mind the way I'd become accustomed to in more rational climes (Colorado High Country).  Before long I realized that virtually all of my neighbors, many of them good and intelligent folk, took such talk about the same way they might if I'd thrown acid in their faces.  I found that I had caused hurt when that was the farthest thing from my intent.  The effect was remarkabe enough that I've just about shut up until I can figure out a better way to engage than simple honesty.  Deception is something in which I wouldn't engage even if I knew how, so for now my answer is mostly silence (not outright denial) until I get a better handle on communicating within this very tricky culture.

When I was taking openly about my lifelong lack of religious faith (thanks Mom & Dad!), and what I thought about what faith implies, many of those who didn't just walk away denounced me as a Satanist, or at least deluded and in the grip of Satan.  Most of them said that they would pray for my immortal soul, and a few offered thinly veiled threats in the form of some of the darker passages of the Old Testament.  Nowhere, not once, has there been a scrap of offer to continue discussion.

To put this odd cultural situation into context, I should note that about half of the people I know here are the least religious one might hope to find in the Deep South.  Dear Li'l Sis, my next door neighbor and best friend, is an agnostic lesbian.  Her (and so my) social circle includes mostly people who attend the local Unitarian church -- almost all very nice intelligent people.  But as far as I've seen, all of them begin every meal with some sort of prayer to God.  It's as if no food can be consumed without this symbolic act of contrition / submission.  Sis's 8-year-old son attends a Christian private school (where he asks his teachers why Christians don't believe in evolution -- bright kid!).  Mind you, these are the least religious around here.  Pretty much everyone else believes strongly that the earth is less than 10,000 years old, that the Bible is the inerrant word of God, that sexuality is the sole purview of the Church, and that Sick Rantorum is the only viable presidential candidate.  It's a steep hill.

}}}}

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service