Monsters that eat bad children at Christmas (not atheists) | BBC

The BBC has an article (with pictures) of monsters of folklore from various nations that are alleged to come at Christmas and eat disobedient children.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20799889

James. It's snowing. A veritable Perry Como night.

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Heck, I find Jesus--even Santa Claus--"monsters of folklore"!

There is a great section in William Hoppers "A Heathen's Guide to Christmas" on how the original Santa Clause was the night monster who kidnapped and murdered bad children. Over time, the church softened this image, and replaced the evil side of his persona with characters like Zwarte Pieter or Black Pete.

Thanks Pat - I didn't know about this original Santa.

I prefer them too young to have become disobedient.  More juicy and tender.  A nice horseradish sauce for some tangy flavor.  By the time they are old enough to be "bad", the other monsters can have them.

When having guests over, I flambe for effect. The crispy skin always brings rave reviews.

Thanks for the tip.  That does sound elegant!

For various reasons my wife BethKz does not like to have children around her, frequently referring to them by the Aussie/Brit term:

SPROGS

Yesterday she was installing a distribution of Linux into a village computer for the townspeople to use for Internet service at the village hall, and discovered that Linux "creates sprogs." (Interesting, sprog is in Firefox's dictionary.)

She keened in terror, and immediately went to her various "sprog-free" fora to post warnings to other folk that Linux creates sprogs.

Interesting banner ad at the top for "Sexy Arab Girls." I'll bet there are a bunch in Western Nebraska, and my wife would probably have something to say about me checking up on that.

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service