I wasn't sure which forum would be best for this but I think since views vary with the area and culture, the community forum might be a good fit.

Here in Utah, "modesty" is huge. The typical Mormon standards are sleeves, no bare midriffs, and shorts/skirts should reach about the knee. It's fairly strict for a modern culture, and the standards are apparent even at schools, where dress codes are strict.

Since it's a cultural norm, there's great demand for modest clothing that is still cute and in style. They have bridal shops that specialize in modest gowns, which are hard to come by anywhere else. They're also a good deal more expensive than other gowns, since they corner the market somewhat. A few companies have built business on modest undershirts. And of course, there's the infamous magic underwear.

But there is still a growing urbanized group of youth who wear their shorts a little too short and don't mind the stares that accompany a tank top. The community responds with "Modest is Hottest", a popular slogan, and remind girls that their body is a temple, not to be defiled in any way.

The other day I saw a clothing store called "Sexy Modest". Here's why it confused me: Modest essentially implies understaded; unsevere. It can be beautiful or attractive, certainly. But sexy? Sexy has a sexual connotation-- almost provacative. I was under the impression that in religious cultures, the purpose of modesty was to repress sexuality. After all, premarital sex, or even sexually-indicative acts such as french kissing, are frowned upon in my society. Not to mention that clothing is not the only indicator of sexuality.

This type of issue is gaining more speed recently, particularly with movements such as Boobquake. What is your opinion? How does your society treat sexiness and modesty, and how should it? Can they be acheived together? Does it matter?

Does the picture fill you with a terrible rage? 

Tags: hottest, modest, mormon, poopoo, sexy

Views: 457

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sexiness, like love, is really a bit of an abstract construct dependent largely on social contexts. Several centuries ago, in Renaissance and medieval Europe, women were sexy if they were a bit chubby, but now it is the opposite. So someone back then seeing a thin model or actress would think they were horridly unattractive, not sexy.

So, from a Mormon's point of view, modest clothing might be the "sexiest" thing of all, what gets their love juices flowing and gets them attracted to someone of the opposite sex, while revealing clothing would be a turn-off. And even today, what is "sexy" varies across the world, so sexy modest is not necessarily an oxymoron; it depends on the cultural context.

Good question, though!
Wait, so it's sexy not to be sexy? Because the only vaguely logical reasoning for why immodesty is immoral I've gotten is that men go sex-berserker if you don't cover up. It's like a paradox. I agree with what you're saying though.
Good point. Maybe they mean "sexy" in a spiritual way. Sounds strange, but heck, a lot of Christians can get pretty riled up looking at images of Christ on the cross for goodness' sake. So "spiritual stimulation" might be the "sexy" here...

In the case you mention, "sexy modest" probably is a paradox if the whole point of modesty is directly to prohibit sexual feelings. My hunch though is that they are doing more to recontextualize "sexy" here to take it away from LUST, which is a Christian sin and the "sex-berserker" side of romance.
Which is weird because Sexy Modest is a really weird name to me. It's just stringing words together. Those sillies.
There is also the idea in many religious cultures that sex is FOR PROCREATION PURPOSES ONLY, not something to actually be enjoyed.
And it's one of the strongest drives of humankind, which means it's another aspect of a person's life to be controlled by those seeking power. Throw in some arbitrary rules about food, arrange marriages, add some sleep deprivation...and some programming to create that wonderful sense of guilt, and your subjects become properly docile.
Don't tell me, lemme guess: this is aimed mostly if not exclusively at WOMEN, right? Guys don't have to worry about opening up a button more at the neck than usual or, to use the words of those wild and crazy guys, Dan Ackroyd and Steve Martin, "wearing tight jeans which give us nice bulges!"

Boil it down, the whole "Modest is Hottest" BS is just a more subtle form of what islamic women get laid on them with the burqa ... but it's the same razzmatazz, make no mistake.
Yep. Except with the provision that they don't like men who wear their pants low.
Ha ha ha...then you might see the Magic Mormon Underwear.
And not the magic Mormon butt-crack???
They wear boxers, unfortunately fortunately...
Jezzy: Sexy has a sexual connotation-- almost provacative.

You mean, vacative as in vacation? A very appropriate neologism. And it makes sense to me here: leisure time begs for relaxed dressing codes ;-)
No I mean vacative as in I can't spell. :) And when was the last time you saw a sexy Spelling Bee Champ?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service