Spare the rod, spoil the child.  

AJC.com

Unlike Abraham, the angel Gabriel didn't save the poor child.

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The title is misleading. This isn't parallel to the Abraham story.

Ruth, you're probably correct in strictest sense. On the other hand, it's just another example of the monstrosity of religious belief. Christians - Muslims; this story or that story. What the heck's the difference? The adherents of both believe in a "holy book" that gives license to torture, maim, and kill little children. Rebellious son? Beat him to death? Pre-pubescent daughter got raped? Stone her to death, or make her marry her rapist. Abraham, Jephthah, Benjamin Edetanlen of Atlanta, or the Taliban who shot Malala Yousafzai. The individual stories may differ, but the motives are all the same. When my god sanctions immorality, it's no longer immoral.

I agree that the core problem is the same.

When I saw the story, this is the first image that came to my mind.  My mind might be misleading but this really is the first thing that I thought of.

No argument from me that the father is not claiming god came to him and told him to kill his son. But he claims that he killed his son due to god's biblical commands. That's enough for me.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service