For those of you don't know, before Obama's inauguration, Mike Newdow (and 39 others), joined with the AHA, and filed a lawsuit to exclude the religious elements of the inauguration. You can read the complaint: Here

According to the US Constitution, Article II, Section I, each President must recite the following oath:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

It is a common misconception that the tradition of adding the words, "So help me God," were started by George Washington. However this is not the case. Thus, Newdow's lawsuit charges that Chief Justices do not have the right to add religious phrases when administering that oath.

It should not be a surprise that the preliminary injunction was denied, but the fight goes on. Newdow is now looking for 1,000 for individuals to join him as plaintiffs.

Mike has asked that the members of Atheist Nexus please consider joining him.

Below is an excerpt from an email he sent me:

We are trying to enlarge the list of plaintiffs in the lawsuit. We want to counter the notion that only a few people care about the fact that the Chief Justice of the United States, without any authority whatsoever, alters the text as it is prescribed in the Constitution when he adds "so help me God" to the presidential oath of office. Especially when done in a ceremony where multiple (Christian) clergy lead the audience in prayers to God, we think these practices should stop.

Such activities violate the first ten words of the Bill of Rights. They send the message to the godless community that they are political outsiders, and further the sense of superiority of the monotheistic majority. They result in the prejudices that always stem from such governmental favoritism. More than 30% of the American public thinks Atheists are immoral! Does anyone really believe that the constant governmental reminders that we are "one Nation under God" and that "In God We Trust" have nothing to do with the perpetuation of that bias?

If anyone wishes to join in this quest for equality, simply go to

http://1000plaintiffsfornewdowvroberts.blogspot.com/

and follow the instructions. Though there is still time, you will need to hurry - the deadline is Sunday, February 22.

Thank you.

- Mike

We have spent a lot of time on this site discussing and debating whether Atheist Nexus could make a difference. Here is an opportunity.

Brother Richard

Tags: AHA, Lawsuit, Mike, Newdow, Obama, Roberts

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

sounds like a case of succeeding presidents not wanting to appear godless once the tracks of piety have been laid. by the way this website is cool. I just got a computer this week, and it is nice to converse with you good people.
What about privacy? Will those who sign on as Plantiffs risk the possibility of being publicly exposed or will we be afforded privacy protection?
This is a question that would have to be asked of the lawyers.

My opinion is that we must take a stand and come out of our closets. I live in the South and have had a few unwanted "situations" because of my atheism. My children have also suffered some minor persecution. Is this acceptable? My family and I have decided it is.

Our plight is nowhere as bad as African Americans and homosexuals have had, however, we can learn a lot from their struggles. We have to be willing to take the risks ourselves. If anyone looses a job or is harmed in any way because of this lawsuit (or any other reason), we should get behind each other and file additional lawsuits. We must demand respect until it is given naturally.

Come out! Be bold! Be strong! Live in peace. (We need a slogan like, "We're here, we're queer, get used to it.)
Self employment is one proactive way to lessen the grip of ignorance and discrimination.
Oooohh, No comparison between anything I do to the HOMOsexual perversion please. I understood exactly what you mean though, a phrase that is catchy and direct. I got that. Thank you.
How about:

- Jesus Elvis Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy support atheism
- We are here, you are queer, we are atheists
- Jaba the Hut doesn't believe in God either
- Flying Spaghetti Monsters RULE!
- Atheists don't touch their mother where she pees
- I am an atheist and my list of morals is nicer than your list
- Mother Teresa taught me the real meaning of Avaricious.
- Christianity leaves all their children behind
- Atheists purchase alcohol with equanimity and no bag
- Atheists do it without someone in the sky watching
- Blasphemy is a victimless crime
- The Christians are coming, watch out!
- Watch out for demons and devils, nevermind those busses and taxis, God will protect you.
-If you see the numerals 666 on someone's license plate, change lanes immediately...God will protect you
- Flying is OK, pray first...nevermind those who say; "Nothing Fails Like Prayer"
- That almighty, all powerful, invisible, magical, zombie in the sky will save you from eternal damnation if you would just kiss his a--...OK? Just a little kiss to show them thar' atheists...OK? Come on now...kiss, kiss, kiss ( a little cash wouldn't hurt either)
- More later
I composed, emailed, and sent mine. I just hope that it isn't a case of hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first though.
Thanks for making us aware of this and being able to get our support in on time. I heard they had extended it for a few more days, so it may not be too late if people still want to participate.
Problem is, all these "minor" violations accumulate and add greatly to the overall sense of atheists as second-class citizens. We live by symbols, language is powerful, and words matter. I don't think it's minor at all.
I occasionally have experienced, after hearing a rather moving speech or pronouncement...someone in the crowd ending it with "In Jesus' name, Amen" I find this highly offensive. What you say has a direct effect on what happens to you next. Words are VERY powerful...you are essentially "casting a spell" when you say moving things that compel people to act. This injection of religion into everyday communication between those in power and the people is a great offense and mis-use of the power they may possess.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service