Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OMG, The stupid, it BURNS!

all these people should be in jail for constitutional violations.

I'm going to read up on the Know Nothings of the middle 1800s.

Bachman and Palin are leading today's Know Nothings in their war against knowledge.

I've just done a quick search for that and found Premillennialism, Quakers, Shakers and Mormons.

Its interesting to note that Mormoronism was around at the same time as PT Barnum. "There's one born every minute".

I'm currently reading "Assassination Vacation" by Sarah Vowel and just learned about the man who assassinated President Garfield.   He (Charles Guiteau) was a member of "a 19th century vegetarian sex cult in upstate NY whose members lived for 3 decades as self pro-claimed 'bible communists'...the Oneida Community" (p137).  I would like to learn more about THAT community! 

One of the things Vowel mentions was their belief in "mutual criticism" as a way to 'cleanse' people's egos...defined as standing up in front of everybody and being criticized and listening to people name off your faults...FUN STUFF.  They were part of the utopian movements springing up all over the east coast and beyond.  If anybody knows a good book about these religious 'subcultures', I'd like to hear about it.  Vowel has a humorous way of explaining historical events and her kind of writing is based in a deep respect for kooky details that you never heard in your high school history classes!  She would have a field day with Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann...but we'll have to wait for them to be forgotten historical figures, first..ha ha...we can only hope they fade away like the details of presidential assassinations.

(The assassination of Garfield had nothing to do with this man's religious beliefs, by the way, he was rejected by the Oneida Community (and they were pretty TOLERANT) and seemed to have grievances about Garfield's refusal to consider him as ambassador to France.  Mentally unstable....)

If as some have suggested that she is simply a huckster or is not ill informed then I look forward to her outing.  It will undoubtedly be satisfying to hear some secretly recorded conversation where she pulls the old P.T. Barnum out or talks about how she uses history as a tool for her political ambitions.  It won't be too long before some enemy - ironically probably from her own party - exposes her as a hack.  I am already getting the popcorn ready...
Me too...I will keep my microwave bag of popcorn next to me while watching the evening news....
Obama has uttered his share of dumb statements such as "57 states" and "shovel-ready" and you probably voted for him. Not defending Bachmann - just stating facts. In the grind of politics and media, candidates say dumb things and misspeak.

Yes, the mis-speak and concentrating on it can be a red herring. 

I think the mis-speaking, gotcha, and arguing about it detracts from the politician's beleifs and actions.  It goes both ways.  For her to make a claim about being like John Wayne, and the supposed importance of the town that he supposedly is from, is as disingenuous as the gotchas about how it wasn't him, it was the serial child killer who was from there, and by the way John Wayne was supposedly a racist draft dodger, etc - what does all of that have to do with how we want the country to run? 

I prefer to hear her attitudes about running the country, economy, war, environment, security, separation of church and state, poverty, health care.....  so far everything I've heard has been scary.

It would certainly be nice to hear her opinions about the separation of church and state... I hear her tea party agenda loud and clear, but her appeal goes deeper than tax relief.   She spends a lot of time gleefully saying 'we can't spend our way out of the recession' and 'President Obama is a one-term president' and 'my husband and I know how to run a business'. 

I want the media to scrutinize her the way they scrutinized President Obama as a senator and 'a questionable patriot'..... she needs to feel that kind of heat in order for the average citizen to see what she's made of.  Her responses will speak volumes.

John Wayne was laughed at by true WWII veterans.  He turned in tons of his fellow actors to the House UnAmerican Committee and recently, I read he tended to hit people who disagreed with him.  If you read about the man, you may find he was one unpleasant fellow.  So maybe she is like John Wayne, in that, he had no problem betraying his friends and the people who helped him. 

I definitely don't want this woman elected President.  I think she would dismantle the VA, the EPA, Medicaid/Medicare, Social Security, the National Park Service and just about everything that is not the military whose pay she would probably cut.  She is no friend to the lower class, the veteran or the environment.  I have no idea how this woman got elected in the first place. 

someone doesn't like John Wayne.

What's hilarious is that when I googled on him, google auto-completed the entry by adding "Gacy" to "John Wayne".  Apparently people are more interested in the killer than the actor.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service