Mayor Bloomberg Says Sunday’s 9/11 Ceremony a Civil, Not Religious Occasion

This is nice to see a political figure to consider non-theists in his plans for the 9/11 remembrance. http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2011/09/09/bloomberg-sundays-911-ce...

There is a splattering of protests and name-calling in the comments section. I threw in a positive word for the Mayor and his actions. I think he is doing the right thing.

I am currently having a facebook discussion (argument?) with a member of a local "Interfaith" organization because I stated I felt a local event they planned was exclusive to non-believers. A long-winded rant was returned that I was wrong, and that atheists should quit complaining, get off their butts and do something to help society. Sigh. This could go on forever. The religious just seem blind to the fact that their doctrines are strongly integrated into our every day lives. Of course, it is their event, and they can do whatever they want, I simply stated I didn't feel welcome, and a non-secular event would be more appropriate. On this, Bloomberg and I certainly agree. 

Tags: 9/11, Bloomberg, events, interfaith, secular

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent decision Bloomberg. Christian commenters seem to think the Jewish mayor is pandering to Muslims. wth.  In religious eyes everything and anything is about them and their religion.

Yes, I agree.  I just posted my support on Facebook and in the discussion of the article.  I don't think theists should get to dictate the terms of an event like this.  It is a day of mourning for all Americans.  It is entirely appropriate to keep the occasion secular.  People of faith can spend the day doing whatever they want...nobody is forcing them to go to this event or to view it on the television screen...they are at liberty to go to their churches, synagogues, and mosques just like any other day they want to do so.  Their leaders can get up on their pulpits and preach anything they want to...imagine that kind of freedom in some of the other nations on this globe of ours.  I think Mayor Bloomberg shows great wisdom and sensitivity in this particular decision.  It took courage.
There is a link to the Mayors e-mail address on FFRF's website. It also has a letter Dan Barker and Annie Laurie Gaylor wrote to him thanking him for his decision. I encourage everyone to write him an e-mail in appreciation.
Here is a link to the mayor's office. I think he should hear from our community as well. http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.bd08ee7c7c1ffec87c4b...
Thanks for posting the link, I'm a lazy poster :)
Thanks for the tip! I'm glad ffrf was all over that.
What a refreshing thing to hear from a political leader.  I'm glad he said it.  I tried to make this same argument with my mom over labor day weekend but she said something about 'the suffering' that church helps people overcome and I just let it go at that.  Churches get to celebrate the 10th anniversary of 9-11 because it falls on a Sunday this year I guess....I suppose I shouldn't use the word 'celebrate'.  Maybe 'commemorate' would be a better way of putting it.  I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to spend the day.  I realllly don't want to spend it watching all the television coverage.  I think I'll try to be outside...maybe a nice hike in the woods is called for....

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service