I just teamed up with women’s lib writer Barbara Walker and Dr. Lester Grinspoon of Harvard Medical School to publish on Kindle Pot Stories and Atheist Essays 

One piece, “Pot Story,” offers a very persuasive polemic for legalization and at the same time shows some of the misery and suffering that unwise laws have caused over the decades.  One section describes Harry Anslinger, the founder and first commissioner of the Prohibition Movement, as a conspicuous bigot and inarguable moron. 

Ms. Walker, in her inimitable style, writes of the abuses of religion over the centuries and the mistreatment of women, mostly due to original sin.

Also included is a podcast of Dr. Grinspoon where he categorically states there is no physical damage to the body at all.  He tells the story of how he first turned on, exhorted by none other than Carl Sagan on a cruise to a conference in Europe. 

If you’re interested in marijuana, either medically or recreationally, this is a must read so you’ll know what you’re doing or talking about.  Lot’s to discuss, n’est-ce pas?  

Tags: 420, Barbara, Goscicki, Rich, Walker, atheism, grass, marijuana

Views: 1541

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree that we should hold this subject with the same level of "scientific scrutiny" as we would any other subject. There is just one problem with that (well thousands actually). Since Marijuana has been illegal scientists had to apply to the government to get permission to study it and the thousands of applications were denied. The handful of studies that were allowed, even with the government in no uncertain terms letting the researchers know what they wanted the results to say, all came back showing no ill effects. As more countries lax their laws, more and more evidence has been pouring in showing, not only is it not harmful, but it has many beneficial uses. Did you know your brain has receptors for CBD's, some of which your body produces but many that aren't produced anywhere else in nature other than marijuana? A lot of what we were told was lies, just like religion. The very name, was made up as a racial attempt to tie it to  Mexican immigrants. The government propaganda was poured on thick and they used fear and peer pressure just like religion. I don't smoke it, but I don't believe that in an allegedly free country, my government can tell me that I don't have the "right" to. Remember when Bush Sr said he didn't like broccoli? Could you imagine him saying, "therefore I'm going to make broccoli illegal"?   There are many good documentaries about it (and some bad ones) look them up online. I dont smoke it and used to be against it until I researched it myself.

I have the same view of smoking you do. And I don't make a distinction between tobacco and marijuana. I do get the impression that many people think there is something tittilating or sexy or exciting about seeming to get away with doing things that are so bad for you. There is no possible way that putting something in your mouth and lighting it on fire and I hailing the smoke is not bad for you. Ingesting marijuana is surely bad for you too. And you are right that atheism has nothing to do with the fact that marijuana is bad for you.

On the other hand religion and marijuana both are bad for you... In a certain way of thinking some people have a religion we could call, using marijuana. Marijuana users and religionists both can't or will quit or see that their drug or religion is bad for them...

There is no possible way that putting something in your mouth and lighting it on fire and I hailing the smoke is not bad for you. Ingesting marijuana is surely bad for you too.

What is your evidence for these beliefs?

I know that marijuana is bad for you for all the same reasons tobacco is bad for you. I know that there is no evidence that I can tell you that will change your mind. Just like how religionists are not able to see that their religion is bogus, you are operating under a delusion and you are not able to see that marijuana is bad for you. "Delusion" is a label for a false belief which does not change and which will not go away no matter how much the person is exposed to the truth or contrary evidence. Sure you may claim that you only take marijuana every two weeks or infrequently, and various other evidence that the stuff is good or neutral, and any contrary evidence I give you, you will just twist things around and tell me how wrong I am. You know you can find your own evidence if you want or ask a librarian to help you do your research. (I have the master library science degree. I know how to do research and make judgments about which sources of information are likely to be credible or silly).

and any contrary evidence I give you, you will just twist things around and tell me how wrong I am>>>

That’s what discussions of for:  getting at the truth.  I don’t tell you “how” wrong you are, merely that you might be wrong.  Consider this one: 

I know that marijuana is bad for you for all the same reasons tobacco is bad for you. >>>

That’s clearly not true.  Nobody ever contracted lung cancer from smoking marijuana.  If you smoke too much, OD that is, you merely pass out and wake up feeling fine.  Try that with booze or hard drugs.

Yes, you are supposed to try to see what is wrong with what I wrote or write, or what people write, otherwise there would be nothing to write about.

I suspect that our lungs did not evolve to handle soot and smoke.

I totally agree with you Michael , Marijuana is a drug and always  will be a drug....Just because we are allowed to smoke  cigarettes and drink alcohol, both drugs, does not mean we should  allow yet another drug be consumed  by the general  populace.......Marijuana has been proven  to be  quite  helpful in  cancer  patients  with  severe  nausea....It is even available in pill form  for that use  with  a prescription.........The argument that  people should be  capable  of smoking  only the `Best' marijuana and  know  to limit  the use of  it is  pure  hogwash....If that  were  true  there would be  no alcoholics...and  cigarette  smokers  would  not  die  of  cancer. The  truth is  that  any drug that  can alter  your  mental state needs  to be controlled  because  users  can't  be trusted  to limit  its  use.....That is  just  how  humans  behave........However  just as with alcohol in the 1930's  prohibition era public  demand   may be too great  and marijuana may need to be treated  more  like  cigarettes with an age limit of  21 and  strict  laws  prohibiting  driving  under the  influence  as with  alcohol....Maybe  just  maybe it could work and  the tax  on it  would  do some good  for  everyone.......As far  as equating marijuana use  with Atheism I am afraid it does not compute with me......   

The argument that  people should be  capable  of smoking  only the `Best' marijuana and  know  to limit  the use of  it is  pure  hogwash....If that  were  true  there would be  no alcoholics...and  cigarette  smokers  would  not  die  of  cancer. The  truth is  that  any drug that  can alter  your  mental state needs  to be controlled  because  users  can't  be trusted  to limit  its  use

What is your evidence for this belief? 

There are many people who use marijuana only occasionally.  I used marijuana about once every 2 weeks for 25 years. 

Drugs vary in their addictiveness.  Tobacco is extremely addictive.  Alcohol is also addictive - yet there are many people who have a glass of wine with dinner, and never become alcoholics. 

For any drug, there are people who use it in a pathological way - too often, and it interferes with their lives.  Why should the people who use it occasionally suffer for those people?

And why should the people who use those drugs in a dysfunctional way, be further punished by being criminalized? 

A huge part of the prison population is there because of drugs, directly or indirectly.

Your  argument  could  also  apply  to guns.......Some people  misuse  guns  so why  should  the  good  gun owners  be  penalized?   The problem  with that  argument is that  because of Human nature  the  misusers  can cause  terrible tragedy  to the rest  of us.........A person  who smokes  marijuana frequently just because  it is easily  available  and then  drives a car  or uses any  machinery can  cause  much  harm  to others.A person  who  drinks  too much  alcohol can not only  kill someone  from driving DUI, the person  could  become violent and hurt  those around him.....Unfortunately  we need to have laws that protect  us  from  everyone   using or handling  a dangerous  substance or weapon......You can not  base everything  on  your own  personal behavior....I am  totally in favor of  eliminating the use of marijuana as a criminal offense....I agree that  our  jails have  way too many  inmates  from this  stupid law.....A fine  on  repeated  use  is  all that is necessary .....

....A person  who smokes  marijuana frequently just because  it is easily  available  and then  drives a car  or uses any  machinery can  cause  much  harm  to others

There are laws against driving under the influence of drugs.  Do you think those laws aren't enough, and if so, why? 

We have laws against driving drunk.  Do you think drinking alcohol should be illegal because people sometimes violate the laws against driving drunk?

A person  who  drinks  too much  alcohol ...  could  become violent and hurt  those around him

We have laws against assaulting people, also.  Do you think drinking alcohol should be illegal because people sometimes assault others while they're drunk?

To Laura......My point was  just that......We do have laws  for  abusive  users of drunk driving  and  assault.....which is why  we need  laws   for  marijuana  use  as well...I was trying  to explain,obviously  not well, that not everyone who smokes  marijuana  uses  good  judgement....Those  who do carry  a small amount of MJ and  are not bothering  any body  should  not have to worry  about  being  thrown in jail...   ....

<There is no possible way that putting something in your mouth and lighting it on fire and I hailing the smoke is not bad for you. Ingesting marijuana is surely bad for you too. >>>

I disagree.  There are many experiments showing marijuana to be of curative and medicinal benefit—certain types of epilepsy, for instance.  I haven’t studied the latest literature but I’m pretty sure there are many instances of mj being very beneficial.  I can also see mj helping people in a hospice. 

Marijuana sure helped friends of mine cope with the horrors of Viet Nam.  Let me ask you Michael, if you were in Nam and your commanding officer told you to go into the a village (Ben Suc, for example) set the huts on fire and then shoot the hiding old people and children when they came running out with their clothes ablaze, would you prefer to follow the order straight?

Same with people in jail.  Marijuana helps us cope.  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service