I just teamed up with women’s lib writer Barbara Walker and Dr. Lester Grinspoon of Harvard Medical School to publish on Kindle Pot Stories and Atheist Essays 

One piece, “Pot Story,” offers a very persuasive polemic for legalization and at the same time shows some of the misery and suffering that unwise laws have caused over the decades.  One section describes Harry Anslinger, the founder and first commissioner of the Prohibition Movement, as a conspicuous bigot and inarguable moron. 

Ms. Walker, in her inimitable style, writes of the abuses of religion over the centuries and the mistreatment of women, mostly due to original sin.

Also included is a podcast of Dr. Grinspoon where he categorically states there is no physical damage to the body at all.  He tells the story of how he first turned on, exhorted by none other than Carl Sagan on a cruise to a conference in Europe. 

If you’re interested in marijuana, either medically or recreationally, this is a must read so you’ll know what you’re doing or talking about.  Lot’s to discuss, n’est-ce pas?  

Tags: 420, Barbara, Goscicki, Rich, Walker, atheism, grass, marijuana

Views: 1541

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is the CBD who cure cancer not the THC. I have been researching for 5 years and it is the best for me. My wife had a illness, who stress the hell out of me, the MJ keep me relax. I had an operation and the pain killer made me throw up. The MJ  keep my pain in a low state. I do make candy, BBQ sauce and more, check the web.

The picture is some ofthe food I make with MJ.

Attachments:

Serge, thanks for the comment. It’s hard to believe that mj was so vilified and rejected historically except for human greed, hunger for power and stupidity. If you’d like to read some unbelievable early history dating back to Harry Anslinger and the ‘30s, read my Pot Stories.

Click on the pot plant to the right.

I asked a reader here, a prosecutor, if he was thinking of Reefer Madness (Harry’s propaganda film, rivaling his contemporary, Joseph Goebbels) when he sent innocent kids to a life of iron bars, clanging doors, sterile aluminum and food pigs would be reluctant to eat—not to mention the loneliness and self-alienation.

He never did answer the question. Just what was he thinking about then? Did he think he was protecting society? I wonder what their rationalization was. If judges and prosecutors thought they were protecting society they have no right to be so uninformed when they were destroying lives.

You're doing it again, Richard. Making something up out of whole cloth, with no basis in reality, and then promoting it as truth. You state I sent innocent kids to a life of iron bars. Not once did I ever do that, but you didn't bother to find out before making that false and scurrilous accusation once again. As before, reality has no bearing on your narrative. The more emotion, histrionics, and baseless invective, the more inflated your sense of having a monopoly on truth and justice becomes. Quite frankly, it's gone from blatant and distorted stereotyping, for which you have already apologized, to blatant dishonesty, for which no apology is acceptable.

Are you related to Sky Masterson?  I don't know how old you are but it's a good trivia question.

I have a theory on you statement above.  Just after Lester and I published the podcast, interest in medical mj skyrocketed.  Last I heard the radio show had garnered over 5000 hits and that was month ago.  

Who knows?  Quien sabe.  Lester is charming and certainly know his science as an M.D. and dean. How can anyone not have a change of heart when they listen and learn that Carl Sagan turned Lester on during a cruise to Europe?  I believe Sagan was the greatest educator of he modern age, as important as Erasmus in the Middle Ages. Lester once told me he wrote Cosmos high on mj.  

Aldous Huxley was certainly ahead of his time.  He wrote Brave New World fifteen years before Orwell's masterpiece.

Sky Masterson. Who's that? I'm related to Fat Bastardson.

Sky God, you're right about hemp. My grandfather grew it for the government during the war. I can never remember if it was the first t or second.
Hemp would cut into the profits of big oil, which, we all know, is in bed with our government. It's a damned shame it all comes down to money and politics.
If someone doesn't get a grip on this we're all doomed. Including the very rich because even they can't live without clean water and air.

Hemp cultivation is legal in state law, in Colorado, Oregon, California, Kentucky, Vermont, Montana, West Virginia, North Dakota and Maine. 

federal bill legalizing pilot hemp cultivation in those states was recently passed. 

I was able to buy hemp seeds on Amazon without any problem.  As a way to try to get over my marijuana allergy :) 

One thing that's nice about hemp is that marijuana plants in hemp fields won't be noticeable :)

Good to know Luara.

our benevolent rulers see fit to give us another form of SOMA? And in the most liberal states? hmmm.  People have been waking up the past few decades, atheism is on the rise, people aren't listening to the corporate news anymore (at least the younger demographics); now they want to "give us" our freedom back?

We do live in a democracy though.  The progress on marijuana has mostly been from voter initiatives.  The general disapproval of drug users and drugs caused drug prohibition. 

People are still pretty thoroughly indoctrinated on the subject.  Drug users are a convenient scapegoat, and they have a very negative stereotype of them. 

I asked a question about marijuana chemistry on a Usenet chemistry group years ago.  All I got was people bashing me.  All I had done was to ask a question, and they "knew" all about me as a marijuana user.  They "knew" I was far beneath them in some way. 

Laura, thanks for the vignette about old times.  I found the part interesting about the cop NOT arresting you because his partner wasn’t there.

The cop threw it all into the grass, telling us we were really lucky his partner wasn't there because otherwise he would have to arrest us, and all those drugs would mean years of jail time

Shows how arbitrary and superficial the justice system is.  If that cop was in a nasty mood, let’s say he had an argument with his wife at breakfast; your life would have taken a turn toward hell, the penal system.

Justice shouldn’t be a matter of luck, but right and wrong. 

To Pat, how do you feel about this country having over two million prison inmates?  More than Communist China, more than the rest of the world combined!  What an insult to reason and humanity.  I’m glad this unnecessary suffering so many people isn’t on my conscience.  

If that cop was in a nasty mood, let’s say he had an argument with his wife at breakfast; your life would have taken a turn toward hell, the penal system.

Maybe he'd been directed to do that by the prosecutor. He was trying to scare us with the talk about his partner.

Yes, it was all very colorful, interesting and sometimes profound.  I would be using marijuana if I weren't allergic to it. 

Richard, prosecutor's often have to follow the laws. Period. That's the major problem with the three strikes laws. They allow no compromise. They're bullshit imho.
I do agree with a good deal of what you say and I'm an advocate of legalization. What an adult does in private, with the standard provisions of doing no harm, should not be up for debate.
That being said, having followed the exchanges between you and Pat, you seemed to come off as harsh and judgemental of one person for the actions of a collective profession.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Loren Miller replied to James M. Martin's discussion Officer Who Shot Brown in Ferguson Might Not Be Playing With Full Deck, Saying He Was Assaulted by "Demon"
46 seconds ago
Plinius replied to Randall Smith's discussion Finding Your Roots in the group Hang With Friends
11 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to James M. Martin's discussion Officer Who Shot Brown in Ferguson Might Not Be Playing With Full Deck, Saying He Was Assaulted by "Demon"
11 minutes ago
booklover replied to James M. Martin's discussion Officer Who Shot Brown in Ferguson Might Not Be Playing With Full Deck, Saying He Was Assaulted by "Demon"
17 minutes ago
booklover commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
20 minutes ago
Plinius replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion This is the 1000th thread in the ORIGINS GROUP. Thank you everybody. in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
22 minutes ago
Gail C. Rendle replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
30 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Ermias Asfaw's blog post Another thought bubble ...
33 minutes ago
Nick Bottom replied to Randall Smith's discussion Finding Your Roots in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud replied to Tom Sarbeck's discussion Wandering Words in the group LINGUAPHILES & SESQUIPEDALIANS
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud liked Tom Sarbeck's discussion Wandering Words
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud replied to Randall Smith's discussion Finding Your Roots in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service