I just teamed up with women’s lib writer Barbara Walker and Dr. Lester Grinspoon of Harvard Medical School to publish on Kindle Pot Stories and Atheist Essays 

One piece, “Pot Story,” offers a very persuasive polemic for legalization and at the same time shows some of the misery and suffering that unwise laws have caused over the decades.  One section describes Harry Anslinger, the founder and first commissioner of the Prohibition Movement, as a conspicuous bigot and inarguable moron. 

Ms. Walker, in her inimitable style, writes of the abuses of religion over the centuries and the mistreatment of women, mostly due to original sin.

Also included is a podcast of Dr. Grinspoon where he categorically states there is no physical damage to the body at all.  He tells the story of how he first turned on, exhorted by none other than Carl Sagan on a cruise to a conference in Europe. 

If you’re interested in marijuana, either medically or recreationally, this is a must read so you’ll know what you’re doing or talking about.  Lot’s to discuss, n’est-ce pas?  

Tags: 420, Barbara, Goscicki, Rich, Walker, atheism, grass, marijuana

Views: 957

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree that we should hold this subject with the same level of "scientific scrutiny" as we would any other subject. There is just one problem with that (well thousands actually). Since Marijuana has been illegal scientists had to apply to the government to get permission to study it and the thousands of applications were denied. The handful of studies that were allowed, even with the government in no uncertain terms letting the researchers know what they wanted the results to say, all came back showing no ill effects. As more countries lax their laws, more and more evidence has been pouring in showing, not only is it not harmful, but it has many beneficial uses. Did you know your brain has receptors for CBD's, some of which your body produces but many that aren't produced anywhere else in nature other than marijuana? A lot of what we were told was lies, just like religion. The very name, was made up as a racial attempt to tie it to  Mexican immigrants. The government propaganda was poured on thick and they used fear and peer pressure just like religion. I don't smoke it, but I don't believe that in an allegedly free country, my government can tell me that I don't have the "right" to. Remember when Bush Sr said he didn't like broccoli? Could you imagine him saying, "therefore I'm going to make broccoli illegal"?   There are many good documentaries about it (and some bad ones) look them up online. I dont smoke it and used to be against it until I researched it myself.

Oh yeah, the link between pot and atheism.  I admit it's very subjective but it's the way I look at life.  Pot helps de-condition users whereby they look at life from more human eyes, instead of pre-programmed contented consumers. We begin to realize humans are just another animal and we methodically analyze religious concepts like Christ-died-for-our-sins nonsense.

This isn't the case for everybody.  As I said it's subjective. We all look at the world in different ways; at least grass helps us break away from the socialization and conditioning.  

I don't smoke it, but I'm not saying I never would try it.  My daughter, who has chronic nausea (as I did, but a prescription drug helps me) feels absolutely no nausea after smoking it.  She also has less anxiety and fewer panic-attacks.  She used to have a doctor who encouraged her to use it.  My daughter is an Atheist, but I don't know that that has anything to do with it.  I know people who are not Atheists that smoke pot for recreational reasons. 

Thanks for the comment Booklover.  Remember Dr. Grinspoon and I strongly advocate responsible use.  

As far as atheism and weed go, there’re several essays in our book that deals with it.  It’s a long story.  Essentially, grass makes us feel more human and we begin to realize that we’re just another animal that evolved from the stuff of the Earth.  We feel closer to it and less like a mindless consumer that corporate society has turned us into.

Grass deconditions people.  That’s one of the reasons it’s illegal.

I guess I don't need it then, because I am a minimalist and frugal.  I think society is sick for thinking shopping is a sport or a hobby.  I am content with my library books and rescue cats! :)  This is also another reason I don't have as many friends as I used to.  I refuse to spend mindlessly.  I am not stingy at all.  I would just rather that our hard-earned money go to what we truly want instead of mindless spending.  Granted it took me until my late 30's to become this way, but now at 46, I think stuff owns us, instead of the other way around.

It's too bad that not being materialistic lost you friends! 

I've always been averse to spending and shopping, except when I was very unhappy at a job and bought books sometimes to give myself a temporary lift. 

I've actually had a weight-budget of my stuff - I would weigh stuff I got rid of and stuff I acquired and keep track of the balance. 

Quite so, Booklover.  It's wonderful that you have your doctor to help you with such a new and controversial treatment.  Good luck to your daughter, I'm sure things will work out.

About your comment, this is one of the main reasons mj is illegal.  It’s bad for business.  In the ‘60s hippies didn’t care what designer clothes or expensive jewelry you were wearing.  It was your humanity that counted.  As MLK said, it's your character and can you be trusted as a friend.

Part of the reason for making drugs illegal may be the dislike of religious people for non-religious ways to altered ways of consciousness.  The drugs that might give people transcendent experiences are illegal. 

I have no bad feelings about legalizing pot. It was legal in earlier days at the turn of the century, and came into bad favor again with our "war on drugs" campaign. Smoking it would effect your lungs the way cigarettes do, except that you would smoke less pot. It could be regulated in use the same way cigarettes and alcohol are regulated today. This would put it under governmental control which would knock down the high prices and also keep the marijuana free of other additives, making it more safe for use.

Legalizing pot might take a bite out of crime also, but I see 2 reasons this is not happening:

1.  Some drug dealers would lose a lot of money and they might come from high places.

2.  Fundies would have a total fit because Jebus doesn't like it.

Right on, Dennis.  To add to your reasons consider that billions are spent and wasted on drug law enforcement.  These people contribute nothing to society except fight a never-ending war that's impossible to win.  

Also, billions are spent and wasted in a penal system that persecutes perpetrators of victimless crimes.  It costs something like 50 thousand a year to incarcerate someone, many convicted because of the paranoia and disinformation surrounding grass.

On the other hand, the government could bring in billions of dollar over the years in taxes.  This money could be used to tangibly improve the infrastructure, help the impoverished inner cities or help the homeless.  

I agree with doing away with the victimless crimes in general.  As I said in a blog post, legalized prostitution bothers me as a woman, but I think it's a good idea anyway, because it's better for the prostitutes. 

It's terribly silly to spend government resources on trying to force people not to make what some consider bad personal choices. 

I have 2 friends, who are free of  cancer, because of the cbd in the plant.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service