I just teamed up with women’s lib writer Barbara Walker and Dr. Lester Grinspoon of Harvard Medical School to publish on Kindle Pot Stories and Atheist Essays 

One piece, “Pot Story,” offers a very persuasive polemic for legalization and at the same time shows some of the misery and suffering that unwise laws have caused over the decades.  One section describes Harry Anslinger, the founder and first commissioner of the Prohibition Movement, as a conspicuous bigot and inarguable moron. 

Ms. Walker, in her inimitable style, writes of the abuses of religion over the centuries and the mistreatment of women, mostly due to original sin.

Also included is a podcast of Dr. Grinspoon where he categorically states there is no physical damage to the body at all.  He tells the story of how he first turned on, exhorted by none other than Carl Sagan on a cruise to a conference in Europe. 

If you’re interested in marijuana, either medically or recreationally, this is a must read so you’ll know what you’re doing or talking about.  Lot’s to discuss, n’est-ce pas?  

Tags: 420, Barbara, Goscicki, Rich, Walker, atheism, grass, marijuana

Views: 1318

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You do realize  Richard  that you are  referring  to  a time of war  and  depravity....We on the other hand are  speaking  of  peace time  in the USA....Using  any  mind  altering  drugs  to cope when at war  is one thing  but  to use it otherwise  needs   more  supervision.....I do agree with you that marijuana can treat  medical  problems, so as a prescription drug  it is  useful,....Oxycodone or Oxycontin is  very useful in treating  pain but it is not  used  as an OTC medication.....Just saying....  

So, you think that the way to deal with moral or philosophical problems or situations is to take marijuana?! In your Vietnam example, either you would follow orders or you would not, wither you would follow orders if doing otherwise would mean your commanding officers would kill you or you would disobey orders and blow your commanding officers brains out or somehow you would just make a decision. I am sure that if you talk to any philosopher about any of various similar situations no philosopher will say, uh, well, f-ck it, just plop yourself down and smoke some sh-t, that will really help you cope with the situation.

Richard....Comparing  your situation  with  inmates  in jail  is  ludicrous....If  marijuana mellows  out  inmates   and makes  it easier  for them to cope  then  fine.....However you need  to deal  with life  without  depending on  mind altering  drugs.....Most of us  seem to manage  just fine without  drugs, not that it is easy.....On the other hand your  argument  for  using  Marijuana in a social  situation is  fine  as long  as it is  treated  like  alcohol  and you have a  sober friend  drive   you home.....  

Mike, in the '60s with videos of the war bringing home the news of war dead on a nightly basis, my friends and I had a shibboleth, a pithy maxim, “how the hell do they expect us to take this society straight?”

My point is that grass helps people cope with life’s absurd realities. 

For instance, (and I hope the prosecutor of some months ago continues to follow this thread and reads this post) you can go to jail for “contempt of court.”  How can any sane and reasonable citizen NOT have contempt for a corrupt, insanely venal judicial system?  With all the graft, greedy overly ambitious lawyers, favoritism, racism, kick-backs and innocent people going to jail where they’d likely be anally raped, how can a reasonable person not rail in horror?  Think about it!  A young person with an intolerably monotonous, boring job at a local McDonald’s goes home after working long overtime, and gets busted for smoking a joint.  He goes to jail and gets raped.  (Perhaps after DEA agents broke down the door to his apartment in the fashion of WWII Gestapo.) 

Where in human history has sexual perversity ever been institutionalized since the training of Spartan homoioi (equals)? 

At the time we were discussing it, there was a judge who was receiving kick-backs from a so-called “reform school” that was paying him “by the head” for every kid he sent their way.  Hundreds of young lives were ruined so this judge could live in luxury.  That’s what’s ludicrous, Freethinker.  The trade-off is ludicrous:  the judge makes a million dollars at the expense of hundreds of kids whose lives are traumatized forever. 

Just yesterday, there was a case in NYC of an obese black man choked to death by six cops.  He told them “I can’t breathe, I can’t breathe” and died before they could put him in a squad car.  I doubt the burly cop whose strong arm was wrapped around his neck like a vice will ever stand before a judge on murder charges.  And we’re not supposed to feel “contempt of court”.  I said it many times on these pages, grass helps us break through the conditioning.  Criminalizing grass is mind control. 

I pretty much agree with your conclusion, but I make my living as an attorney and we do not need any more shit heaped on us, thanks.

The previous was just a rant from all the frustration.  But I hope you'll admit that the system is screwed up.  Over two million lost souls in jail.  What the heck is going on?

There is no incentive to legalize but some to decriminalize. As you know, crack and plain coke were regarded as separate things for federal minimum sentencing. They corrected that. Unless I am mistaken, in Texas it is discretionary for the police to issue a citation rather than hall one off to the hoozgow in possession cases where the person is nabbed with a minimal amount. But the vested interests are powerful. Private prisons, halfway houses, treatment facilities, doctors, hospitals, prisons, jails, the liquor industry, the beer industry, Big Pharma, and any and everyone else likely to be hurt, economically, by legalization. When enough states legalize, then the federal government might throw in the towel and say, Hey, just don't smoke and drive on government property. They might leave the medical clinics alone, leave the upstate Washington growers alone, leave the joy banger who has joints instead of tequila weekends. Yes, things are fucked up. But time is going to change things.

Hey   Richard......I definitely  agree  that  the penalty does not fit the crime  when it comes  to  marijuana  possession unless the person is a distributor for a cartel or something.....At least  we agree on that.....

Oh yeah, the link between pot and atheism.  I admit it's very subjective but it's the way I look at life.  Pot helps de-condition users whereby they look at life from more human eyes, instead of pre-programmed contented consumers. We begin to realize humans are just another animal and we methodically analyze religious concepts like Christ-died-for-our-sins nonsense.

This isn't the case for everybody.  As I said it's subjective. We all look at the world in different ways; at least grass helps us break away from the socialization and conditioning.  

I don't smoke it, but I'm not saying I never would try it.  My daughter, who has chronic nausea (as I did, but a prescription drug helps me) feels absolutely no nausea after smoking it.  She also has less anxiety and fewer panic-attacks.  She used to have a doctor who encouraged her to use it.  My daughter is an Atheist, but I don't know that that has anything to do with it.  I know people who are not Atheists that smoke pot for recreational reasons. 

Thanks for the comment Booklover.  Remember Dr. Grinspoon and I strongly advocate responsible use.  

As far as atheism and weed go, there’re several essays in our book that deals with it.  It’s a long story.  Essentially, grass makes us feel more human and we begin to realize that we’re just another animal that evolved from the stuff of the Earth.  We feel closer to it and less like a mindless consumer that corporate society has turned us into.

Grass deconditions people.  That’s one of the reasons it’s illegal.

I guess I don't need it then, because I am a minimalist and frugal.  I think society is sick for thinking shopping is a sport or a hobby.  I am content with my library books and rescue cats! :)  This is also another reason I don't have as many friends as I used to.  I refuse to spend mindlessly.  I am not stingy at all.  I would just rather that our hard-earned money go to what we truly want instead of mindless spending.  Granted it took me until my late 30's to become this way, but now at 46, I think stuff owns us, instead of the other way around.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service