Louisiana Senate backs bill requiring ultrasound before abortions.

Here in New Orleans, we like to think we have our fair share of free-thinkers & liberals. Then again something like this comes up, and we are reminded we actually live in a red state!  Aside from the high percentage of catholics, we also have more than enough of the other kooky christian denominations around here, especially outside of the city in the provinces! (notice I am not capitalizing certain words- for I am so fed up w/ their crap, that I will not give them the priviledge of a capital letter! )~Anyway here is some ridiculous bill, which if it passes will no doubt be signed by our asshole conservative republican governor! Woman everywhere should be outraged by this:

Senate backs bill requiring ultrasound before abortions

By Jan Moller, The Times-Picayune

May 19, 2010, 8:01AM

BATON ROUGE -- Women seeking abortions in Louisiana would be required to get an obstetric ultrasound under a bill that overwhelmingly passed the Senate late Tuesday.

Senate Bill 528 by Sen. Sharon Weston Broome, D-Baton Rouge, was approved 33-4 after changes were made to ensure that women would have the choice of whether to view the ultrasound on a screen and get a verbal explanation of what was depicted.

Broome described her bill, which is backed by Christian conservative groups and was heavily reworked in the Senate Health & Welfare Committee, as an attempt to empower women by giving them more information before an abortion.

"I think women should have as much information as possible before they make a critical decision about having an abortion," Broome said.

But opponents said it was unfair to mandate the tests, as it would raise the cost of the procedure for women. "We're forcing them to incur this cost," Sen. Karen Carter Peterson, D-New Orleans, said.

Current law only requires ultrasounds if a doctor suspects that a woman has been pregnant at least 20 weeks. But the vast majority of women get the imaging test done regardless of how far their pregnancy has progressed.

The original version of Broome's bill would have required the ultrasound screen to be in view of the woman, and would have required that they listen to a detailed description of what the ultrasound showed, including the dimensions of the fetus and the presence of any internal organs.

It also included criminal penalties for violators, which were taken out during the committee hearing.

Jan Moller can be reached at jmoller@timespicayune.com or 225.342.5207

Tags: abortion

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, if they really need an abortion, a doctor saying "Yes, its there" shouldn't change much about it. If your going to get an abortion, i assume you know its there.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service