(CNN) -- While cleanup crews and technical teams continue efforts to stop crude gushing into the Gulf of Mexico, Louisiana lawmakers are proposing a different approach: prayer.

State senators designated Sunday as a day for citizens to ask for God's help dealing with the oil disaster.

"Thus far efforts made by mortals to try to solve the crisis have been to no avail," state Sen. Robert Adley said in a statement released after last week's unanimous vote for the day of prayer. "It is clearly time for a miracle for us."

The resolution names Sunday as a statewide day of prayer in Louisiana and calls on people of all religions throughout the Gulf Coast "to pray for an end to this environmental emergency, sparing us all from the destruction of both culture and livelihood."

Read the rest here.

-------------------------------------------

I suppose it was inevitable.  SOMEONE figured us poor helpless humans were just not up to a challenge of this magnitude and just HAD to call in an air strike by the ol' sky-daddy.  And of course, when someone's innovative efforts actually manage to either reduce the flow or stop it altogether, they'll sing in three-part harmony about how their deity saved the day.

[Pardon me, I feel a severe bout of reverse peristalsis coming on....]

Tags: Gulf Oil Spill, Louisiana, prayer

Views: 29

Replies to This Discussion

Why can't I find these jobs where people get away with total incompetence? In this case even being encouraged!
Our Sky Daddy, who art in our imagination
hollow be thy doctrine.
Thy crude oil come,
thy gooey mess will be done,
in the sea and on the beaches
Give us this day our daily BP gaff.
And forgive us for our impatience,
as we forgive those who continue to fuck up the cleanup.
And lead us not into rational thought
but deliver us from science.
Now and forever.
Amen

P.S. Can you please just stick your finger in the hole?
Awesome!
Wow, really? How dumb are they. Who do they think let this happen? if there was such a thing as "god." If they don't remember, "god" is the one who lets satan cause problems to "so call" test us not only with trials but by testing faith. It's crazy they think praying is going to help. Being praying has never helped before,especially being the one who they will be praying to let the disaster happen in the first place!
My blood gets very near the boiling point when they "sing in three-part harmony about how their deity saved the day." Time and effort would be more usefully spent looking at our addiction to oil and our demand for more consumption of nature's gifts. This crisis is, in fact, an opportunity to rethink our practices and appetites for stuff.
They seem to expect Jesus Christ to come down in a great fiery blaze and make the oil vanish... or something to a more dramatic effect... Remember we are in the End Times!!!!
The religious right thinks only God can fix the spill.

The religious right mocks Obama for not fixing the spill.

Ergo, the religious right thinks Obama is God.
Awesome.
If the effort of scientists and engineers using their intellect, real science and dedication avert further disaster the theoidiots will give it up to the to the sky guy's answering their prayers. On the other hand, if the disaster continues it will be b/c the benevolent sky guy is punishing the people of the Gulf for their of toleration of homosexuality in New Orleans and the black, Muslim antichrist we elected to the presidency ….I mean you can't discount the power of bullshit prayer.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service