(CNN) -- While cleanup crews and technical teams continue efforts to stop crude gushing into the Gulf of Mexico, Louisiana lawmakers are proposing a different approach: prayer.

State senators designated Sunday as a day for citizens to ask for God's help dealing with the oil disaster.

"Thus far efforts made by mortals to try to solve the crisis have been to no avail," state Sen. Robert Adley said in a statement released after last week's unanimous vote for the day of prayer. "It is clearly time for a miracle for us."

The resolution names Sunday as a statewide day of prayer in Louisiana and calls on people of all religions throughout the Gulf Coast "to pray for an end to this environmental emergency, sparing us all from the destruction of both culture and livelihood."

Read the rest here.

-------------------------------------------

I suppose it was inevitable.  SOMEONE figured us poor helpless humans were just not up to a challenge of this magnitude and just HAD to call in an air strike by the ol' sky-daddy.  And of course, when someone's innovative efforts actually manage to either reduce the flow or stop it altogether, they'll sing in three-part harmony about how their deity saved the day.

[Pardon me, I feel a severe bout of reverse peristalsis coming on....]

Tags: Gulf Oil Spill, Louisiana, prayer

Views: 29

Replies to This Discussion

I'm with you John. Separation of church and state is VERY important to me. I feel like this country is turning to Christian fundamentalism and saying "it's what the Founding Father's wanted"...
It drives me nuts. Makes me want to move to Iceland or somewhere sane...
We are coming from the same place. Especially when lawmakers do it I think it should literally be criminal.
They obviously think god is stupid. If he was a loving god he would have helped by now. It's not like the oil spill is hard to miss.
Well, if god notes every sparrow that falls and misses an oil spill, SOMETHING is amiss, that's for certain!
I thought he was an atheist?
Of course atheist deconversion is possible.
It is 'possible', It is just not 'probable'.
In fact i remember seeing some statistics showing conversions from atheism are amonge the lowest. (excluding thos religions where you get killed for leaving.)
It certainly was nice of god to kill eleven men and so many animals to suggest that we shouldn't be drilling off shore.
I have heard about it too.
Obama has just been stated to have called BP,British Petroleum; so as the American politicians and BP's American commercial partners are distancing themselves from some of BP's technical and safety decisions in the desire to shift blame i think there could be an anti-british backlash.
Yeah I know, but that's just how "god" works...
That is weird. I remember hearing Jane Fonda say that one of the reasons they got divorced was because he was an atheist and he made fun of her xtianity all the time. I call shenanigans.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service