An African American male currently living in South Carolina has been genetically linked to a 338,000 year old pre-modern human. The genetic link was made by determining a match between the Y (male) chromosomes of the two. The oldest modern humans go back no more than 200,000 years. It appears that theists will have even more explaining to do now in their attempt to establish that modern humans didn't evolve from lower forms of animals. Per the article:

A miniscule bit of DNA from an African American man now living in South Carolina has been traced back 338,000 years, according to a new study. The man’s Y chromosome — a hereditary factor determining male sex — has a history that’s so old, it even predates the age of the oldest known Homo sapiens fossils, according to the report, published in the American Journal of Human Genetics. The fellow’s chromosome turned out to carry a rare mutation, which researchers matched to a similar chromosome in the Mbo, a population living in a tiny area of western Cameroon in sub-Saharan Africa. “Our analysis indicates this lineage diverged from previously known Y chromosomes about 338,000 ago, a time when anatomically modern humans had not yet evolved,” Michael Hammer, who worked on the study, said in a press release.

http://news.discovery.com/human/genetics/african-american-earliest-...

Tags: Evolution, Humans, Jubinsky

Views: 318

Replies to This Discussion

This background work fascinates me. Have you corresponded with the teacher? Do keep us posted on what you learn about your ancestry and migration patterns. 

John, this is fascinating. Thanks for sharing. Do you have a genealogist in your family? 

I have had my DNA tested by National Geographic for deep ancestry on both sides. I plan to have NG test it again more rigorously and to determine how much Neanderthal and Denisovan DNA I have. I have thoroughly documented my family tree via Ancestry.com but have the results set to private because blood or non-blood relatives sometimes take offense to what you discover. Ancestry.com will not make public any information posted about living individuals anyway so much of what I have posted would not be viewable even if my tree were not set to private. The results of the DNA testing I have had done are available in the group, DNA Tested Nonbelievers. However, because NG has changed the access method to the results the instructions to see them are a little different now from when I presented them in the group. I need to update them. Briefly, you can access the results without being a member of the group by clicking the link provided for it, checking the box that says you want to proceed anonymously, entering the data identification code in the rectangle provided for it, clicking the circle that says you have had nothing to do with the new Geno 2.0 kit and clicking submit. In that you are proceeding anonymously you do not have to log in. Provided in the instructions I wrote there are two data identification codes.  One is to access the paternal results and the other of course is to access the maternal results. Because the data identification codes are different you have to go through the entire access method for each in retrieving the associated ancestor information.

I removed my data identification codes because with the new access method they may be used to change my profile information.

Thank you John for posting - wonderful article.

Madhukar, I know you are optimistic and I like the way you reveal atheist history of Indian culture. You tell a compelling story, well supported by material from different traditions. 

I am puzzled at your optimism. I see no reason to be. So many factors come together now to cause pessimism, such as: from over population, increasing shortages of potable water, depletion of soils, climate change, over use of antibiotics, turning to war instead of better ways to resolve conflict, while so many people refuse to consider modern medicine, family planning, and progressive farming techniques.

You and I know we have the intelligence to turn some of these factors around and with so many not recognizing the threat, even with all the evidence confirming our vulnerability, we still have huge numbers of people not able or willing to take action. 

What are your proposals?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service