We all know that the god of the old testament is brutal, cruel, capricious and vindictive, but I'm tried of hearing from Christians that god/jesus of the new testament is all about love.

For debating purposes, I often need convenient New Testament examples that demonstrate jesus'/god's immorality, inconsistency, contradictoriness and intolerance, and it would be good to have all these examples in one thread...

So, please list everything you can think of here!

I'll start with a Jesus quote from Matthew:
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household." - Matthew 10:34-37

This same quote is mirrored in Luke.

My 2nd example is god condoning brutal blood sacrifices and immoral scapegoating (his son/self at the crucifixion) for an 'original sin' that even most theologists agree probably did not actually occur.

My 3rd example is the totalitarian nature of god who punishes 'thought crime' and demands faith in Jesus (without providing evidence) which, if questioned, results in an eternity of torture and horror. Some love, huh?

Views: 3581

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This should be an interesting thread!

I think Jesus is portrayed as immoral when he refuses to provide evidence of a heaven/God to those who ask (as written in Mark 8:11-13 and Luke 11:16-18, and probably in John and Matthew too). It's rude and heartless to deny such evidence to truthseekers when Jesus supposedly has the power to provide it.

And that bit about Jesus cursing a fig tree makes him sound like a mentally disturbed person (the story's in Matthew 21:18-19 and other gospels as well). So Jesus was hungry, went to eat from a fig tree nearby, but when he found out the tree had no fruit, he decided to kill the tree. Wouldn't it have made more sense to make the tree grow fruit at that instance?

And also, the miracles are kind of half way measures. Jesus fed the multitudes but just for one meal. Why couldnt he have arranged food resources via miracle for everyone.  he raised lazarus from the dead but it would have been nice if a few thousand others could have been raised. Oh well, its a story not a history.

I googled "cruelties new testament" and got a boatload.  Here's the first, and a good example: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/nt_list.html .  So there are resources available for the taking.

Simple. Every single non-believer should read this: http://ffrf.org/legacy/books/lfif/?t=contra

No worries! In fact, I think the evidential Problem of Evil gives strong evidence to suggest that every time anyone says anything along the lines of "God is great", that is immoral because it would ignore the fact that if God is indeed moral, he would never allow any gratuitous suffering in the world.

Even if freewill could explain human suffering caused by other humans, it doesn't explain human suffering from natural disasters. If God is responsible for the makeup of Earth, then he is responsible for people killed and hurt from earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. Sounds like either a weak god or an evil one.

Yes. Which is the essential point that theists have a hard time grappling with in the evidential form of the Problem of Evil argument. Furthermore, I also think that the idea of free will would be incompatible with God's supposed omniscience. How can God be omniscient and able to make choices at the same time?

Nice link!

Yes, I think Dan Barker is one of the more intelligent public atheists around.

Just thought of another one: according to Luke 2:42-50, Jesus broke the 5th Commandment (thou shall honor thy parents) by basically running away. He stayed to preach at a temple without his parents permission. After 3 days of searching, his parents found him and he was like, didn't you know I'd be at my Father's house?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service