Atheist Nexus Logo

How many atheists here, though not believing in God, Satan, heaven or hell, still believe in some kind of conscious existence after death ? Anyone ? I, for one, do not believe in any kind of conscious existence after death. Death is the end.

Tags: Consciousness, Continuation, Death, Life

Views: 1771

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh the pleasures of food! Putting rhubarb and strawberry sauce over vanilla icecream, or vinegar on spinach, or bacon in potato salad, or blueberries in pancakes, or balsamic vinegar syrup over strawberries, or butter and chives on baked potatoes, or homemade chicken soup, or stroganoff with fresh green peas, or macaroni and cheese with toasted white bread crumbs, or eating beans in the garden before they get to the kitchen, or having raspberries the neighborhood children pick, or popcorn on a cold winter night, or raw sugar and heavy cream in my morning coffee. These are the pleasures of life.

Frederic Patenaude wrote that food is just fuel, what you do with your life is what matters. I say that it is not the case that the purpose of eating is to derive enjoyment from the action of putting so called delicious things into your mouth. Not to spoil your fun, but logically, food is not a real activity, it is just a body function. I mean, you don't try to prolong or derive enjoyment from the action of expelling waste from your body so why turn another body function into a big production just because we are supposed to see each other do one body function but not another body function? What about fun hobbies and activities like bowling or sports, games, crafts, places to visit, books to read, music to hear, and so on? Can you still have a nice life even if you never ate the junk you are currently addicted to again?

Yours is certainly a different approach to food. So tell us what brings you pleasure? What do you like to do that keep you refreshed and renewed.
Interesting that you perceive the food I like as "junk" ... well, I suppose it is to some people; you wouldn't have any fun at my house, I raise food and eat it. I don't like sports or games. I did like to travel and did research in 32 nations of the Earth. I read voraciously, love music, like family and friends in my kitchen as we stir up what ever we harvest.
Frankly, I kind of enjoy the excreting part too, not that I want any company when I partake in that activity. I just enjoy my system being open. Sleep is good.
So, I eagerly await your preferences.

Michael, can it be that Frederic Patenaude's cooking is worse than mine?

And this: a man I once worked with opined that having sex is seriously overrated and taking a crap is seriously underrated. I understood; he and his wife didn't get along very well.

Joan, you have some intriguing combinations there.

Try black pepper ice cream. In a three-cup recipe, use half the sugar and add a tablespoon (or a bit more) of fresh-ground black pepper.

Y'all should try wasabi ice cream. It sounds rather frightening, but it is quite delicious and refreshing... almost more of a sorbet. The paste you get in the US is often not wasabi at all, and fresh wasabi is very, very tasty in its own right. If you ever get the opportunity for fresh wasabi (rather than paste) or wasabi ice cream, do try it out.

Some people like to tip-toe around religion and religious doctrine, and I wonder why we continue to have that timidity? Whether based on Abrahamic faiths, or eastern mysticism, stories of magic may be stories of facts ... I don't think so. A virgin birth, or a resurrection, or a transformation of elements from water to wine make no sense, cannot be replicated, and can't be falsified. We listen to stories that are more than 4,000 years old and believe them. Why? Or stories of modern appearances of ghosts, or past lives, or toast that looks like jesus and we are gullible enough to accept them just because someone says these things happened. The thinking of a wishful child transformed into adult wishful thinking. The stories woven around Buddha are no better then woven tales of Jesus or Mohamed, or Pat Robertson and his ilk. 

I say, call into question all such claims. Demand proof or get away from me. How many times have I heard how god of jesus "saved" someone; give me evidence. Frankly, I have little toleration for faith-mongers or faith-peddlers. 

You know, the Earth is 4,540,000,000 years old; I have used up 77 of those years. I don't want to spend one more minute with mongers and peddlers. 

Faith mongers

I tiptoe past polite xians and I don't kick crutches from under people with sprained ankles.

Impolite xians? I tell them religion is the biggest fraud ever perpetrated on humankind.

If I'm feeling Machiavellian I say "The more people who wait for happiness in another life, the fewer people I have to share this life's happiness with."

michele ricketts, Gee, when you write, "My life-span is so transitory and a nanosecond in comparison that I am 'dead'." Because we don't have deep time and our "life-span is so transitory and a nanosecond in comparison" that makes it even more precious; We only have this one spark of time to be alive and then we are done. Gone. Finished. Changed forever. Therefore, I plan on giving this life a rich, meaningful, powerful ride. Being nice or being silent, or acquiescing is not my idea of a life well lived. I can't speak for others, and I surely do know I enjoy a good debate, like it when someone can convince of a different point of view, and wonder on Earth we have the kind of government and people who elect this kind of government and are not up in arms in protest. If I were religious, I would challenge fundamentalist with the fury of a whirlwind. If I were a Republican, I would confront the idiocy of their value system and do all I could to convince them of their value judgment fallacies. If I were young I would boot dominators out of my life sooner and give voice to my thoughts earier.
I'm a little old lady and get a great kick out of saying all the things I wanted to say when I was younger and didn't have the guts.

My cousin often tells me the same thing. She understands that I filter some things out for the sake of our family and admits, were her parents still alive, she might not be quite as outspoken as she is. I wonder how much I should temper things, sometimes. Some bridges deserve burning, but some require mending from time to time, and it is up to us whether it is worth it to spend the time or effort in doing so.

Dead is dead.

Doornail dead. Quite succinct.

RSS

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service