How many atheists here, though not believing in God, Satan, heaven or hell, still believe in some kind of conscious existence after death ? Anyone ? I, for one, do not believe in any kind of conscious existence after death. Death is the end.

Tags: Consciousness, Continuation, Death, Life

Views: 1672

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Roger:

I don't believe in life after death for any species of life on earth, not just humans, but gnats and cats, and elephants, and bats...and all the rest.

Swarm of gnats

Since notions of life after death is a construct of the human mind, that mind can determine who is eligible to enter. 

It's unpredictable.

"Wonderful to discover this online community."

I guess you could refer to the happy people you met in your coma as an "offline community".

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. Welcome to A/N.

"Offline community?!"  he he he he he 

I think my after death experience will be a great deal like my before birth experience.

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it". Mark Twain.

Great quote Tony!

I read somewhere of Mark Twain's dislike for endless harp music.

Roger:

What is your point ? Do you believe in life after death or no ? Or are you agnostic about it ? And that ringing in your ears is probably tinnitus, a lot of people have it, me included.

Because belief in god is a construct of the human mind, there is no reason there should be a heaven or hell for human beings and certainly not for other creatures, including insects. There is no reason to know or even be interested in the numbers of species that have existed on Earth, at least as it relates to the question, "Is there life after death?"

If you are interested in all the varieties of species throughout the entire time of reproducible life, a good phylogenetic tree will reveal species over time, beginning with the Cambrian Explosion 3.8 billion years ago. That is 3,800,000,000 years ago. 

If you are Young Earth Creationist, this information is irrelevant to you because of the literal interpretation of the beginning of life is claimed to be 5,000 to 10,000 years ago. This silly figure just does not stand up to the evidence. 

If you refer to reincarnation, that, too is a human construct and has no basis in fact. What does recycle is atoms, and these start in the explosion of a star in the form of energy, not as critters, human or otherwise. 

Ringing in your ears, most probably, is tinnitus. It is caused by your heart beat creating changes in the muscles of or around your ear, or because of nerve damage of or around your ear. These are both normal, many people have them. Earwax build-up can cause it, or medications, ear infections, dental problems, whiplash, changes in air pressure, high blood pressure, among other causes. A physician should be able to diagnose and treat the condition. 

They can be quit unpleasant, and need medical attention. 

Joan:

You are one intelligent lady. You blow me away. You must have done (still do) a lot of research.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service