How many atheists here, though not believing in God, Satan, heaven or hell, still believe in some kind of conscious existence after death ? Anyone ? I, for one, do not believe in any kind of conscious existence after death. Death is the end.

Tags: Consciousness, Continuation, Death, Life

Views: 1681

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's how I feel.  No fear, just sadness for the trillions of things I'll never be able to accomplish, things I'll never be able to see, and discussions I'll never be able to have.

Of course, once I'm dead, no problem.

Idaho:

I read years ago of Egyptologists who found records of a man saying about dying: "Alas, no more sex, no more beer."

Roger, if one of my pals were to tell me he's concerned about leaving with so much unaccomplished, I would tease him about his workaholism.

I once had it and now that I no longer do, I like to tell people In America we give therapy to alcoholics and we exploit workaholics.

I like to imagine it like the feeling you get when being put under general anesthesia. No fear and just slipping into unconsciousness. The End.

I agree Anthony when we die its over.  

For all we know, when a person dies the brain might go into a dream-like state while the brain waves or brain activity slows down from the normal state when fully awake through the patterns typical in sleep down to no brain activity at all. And for all I know this deacceleration of brain activity gives off an electromagnetic field which is different from what is given off in typical states of being awake or being asleep. Just in case any of this is true, it would all still be explainable in a logical, rational, scientific, non-supernatural manner and there still is no afterlife. (Bardos has to be imaginary. You die when you loose consciousness for the last time. After that, whatever happens in your brain until all brain activity finally stops doesn't make a difference to you because you have already quit existing).

A lot has been said about the soul during last three to four thousand years. If you will know what Pythagoras, Pluto, Aristotle have said and what the Vedas, the Upanishads, The Bhagvad Geeta and the philosophies of the Buddhists and Jains, the Chinese and Egyptians say about soul, you will know that its all an amusing confusion in trying to explain the unknown. It betrays complete lack of knowledge. Its all false.

I am conscious now. There is no telling what will be the future of organic conscious life.  Death is probably much like the time spent before I was.  I think the competition is how to live this life.

Atheist, life after death. 

There are chemical processes in an individual's mind that create individual's emotions, feelings, memories, and thoughts. At the moment of death these processes cease to function. At that moment of death, all emotions, feelings, memories, and thoughts stop, just as the heart, lungs, brain and other organs cease to function. 

There is no such thing as a soul; upon death, all brain functions end and do not survive. There is no mystical entity that leaves the body and does not move to a different plane or dimension. 

To believe a soul survives death is wishful thinking of a child. It is an immature assessment of how the body functions. Mentally healthy, mature, adult humans grow up and throw away childish imaginations. We exist as functioning human beings here and now, making decisions in life that make sense. 

Great. If there is an afterlife I get to spend all eternity swatting mosquitos.

That brings up an important point. What would be evil for a mosquito? Do they all go to heaven? If so, can I check the other box on the admission form?

For mosquitoes, evil might be getting smacked before they've finished their drinks.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service