How many atheists here, though not believing in God, Satan, heaven or hell, still believe in some kind of conscious existence after death ? Anyone ? I, for one, do not believe in any kind of conscious existence after death. Death is the end.

Tags: Consciousness, Continuation, Death, Life

Views: 1681

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I totally agree with Tony and Philip and Tom.  Nature is it.  And it's enough for me.~ Melinda

I agree also.

Anthony, meditation is nothing more than a tool to help center one's thoughts. There is no magic, or mystery. Just to sit quietly, in the face of some challenge, helps to sort out the wheat from the chaff, and facilitates clear thinking. There is no formula, although some terrible mythology floats out of it from time to time. 

Yes, I suppose you justifiably can state, "Meditation, astral projection, the collective unconscious, etc., is simply repackaged supernaturalism."

But tell me what you do when you have a pesky situation? Do you think and not act, or act and not think, or think & act and then evaluate outcomes? Tools! Nothing more nor less. 

Philip and Anthony, I'm with you.

I tell all who will listen, It's easier to change dogmas than to give up the need for a dogma.

I can't argue with anything you wrote, Michelle. You have an interesting frame on "empty the mind" and I must confess, doing nothing and thinking nothing is more like "turn into a plant" than doing Thinking + Acting = Praexis. 

I feel disdain for the mysticism of Buddhism, as well as the other processes that give people a false sense of hope or an assigned role by class. There are no heaven and hell, there is no life after death, there are no loved ones waiting for us on another side.

Death is the turn-off of the heart pump, blood flow, end of cardiovascular function as well as pulmonary functions and brain functions plus the end of organ functions. Orifices open and leak bodily fluids. No a pretty sight, smell, or task. Electricity ends, life ends. Period. 

"No god is needed." Nor are prayers. Mental health comes from being in the here and now, sharing and observing end-times as part of the process of being alive. 

Philip Jarrett: 

I agree with everything you say about religion and power. Your every word shows your experience.

I meditated for about 15 years and discovered that anything that "comes into my mind" is coming FROM my mind--nowhere else.  Thoughts or images enter the mind through life experiences.  If we sit still long enough, the mind replays its stored images, often in random and distorted ways.  This is absolutely NOT evidence for the existence of any "astral body" or afterlife.  When I realized that meditation and oriental religious stories were simply stories, as are occidental religions, I came to my senses.  I grew up.  I let all the stories be stories. I learned to become a critical thinker.  I became a true atheist.  I accept only provable facts. No one could or can prove what happens after death, since nothing happens.  Afterlife may be a comforting story for some and a danger for others.  It makes far more sense to just accept death.

The end.

I agree! Well said!

The desperate wish to continue to live either out of fear, or in order to feel better about family or friends who have died young or there being some kind of supernatural justice after death are the three reasons people wish there to be something more, but the only evidence is once brain activity stops, there is no consciousness. Life has ended, period. Promising more is lying and should be ignored and in some cases where money is exchanged for promises people should be imprisoned.

Has anyone else here studied cultural anthropology and heard of cultures who soften the "cruel blow" with a belief that people fully die only when no one remains who remembers them?

We get a kind of immortality if we have the money or connections to have our names attached to all kinds of structures, roads, etc.

Our DNA perhaps lasts longer.

Hadn't heard that Tom, but as far as I'm concerned memories are just that, only memories. I hate memories, but at the same time I don't want to forget those I love who have passed away. Memories sadden me.

Anthony, you have a strong reason to hate memories. I wonder if it is possible for you to replace hate-memories with flourishing-memories? 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service