in light of the recent outbreak, i have so many thoughts on the subject.  

first, tornadoes are largely a north american phenomenon.  they happen in europe too, but rarely the massive types we have here.  if we are God's chosen country, He sure seems to hate us a bunch.  especially in the Bible Belt.  

second, what happens if tornadoes become much more prevalent?  will people who live in those areas move? kinda like the situation with coastal areas.  will those people move inland?  could that bring liberals and conservatives into direct contact?  could that even work?  sounds scary.  

third, if tornadeos do increase in frequency, will people more readily accept climate change? 

fourth, i have an acquaintance who believes that the government can create tornadoes.  he does't think this is a conspiracy theory.  

fifth, i fully expect Pat Robertson to claim that today's tornadoes which are about to hit Moore, OK again are revenge from God for that atheist woman who Wolf Blitzer interviewed after last week's storm.

sixth, storm chasers are badass.  

seventh, it makes sense for Republicans to be religious.  if God didn't hate poor people he wouldn't send tornadoes to wipe out their trailer parks.  

finally, i couldn't live in tornado country.  those fuckers scare the shit out of me.  good luck to the people of Oklahoma tonight, my thoughts are with them.  

Views: 436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks, will do.

it's amazing what people allow themselves to think. 

In Alabama, churches have been blow to bits in recent tornados. Google "Goshen Baptist Church" for one. Several were killed.I got sick of hearing about the ones that god "saved." To me they were the ones smart enough to seek cover and not stand outside, armed stretched wide, saying "Bring it! I got me some Bejesus in my side!"

Angela, that "God saved me!" attitude just churns in my stomach. No explanation of how god saved them and not others, why they deserve to be save more than others, what makes them so special, etc.?

When I hear that statement, always ask them these questions, especially when face to face. They are significant questions to ask. I am not aggressive; I ask, curious to know how they arrived at their conclusion. It always is perceived as aggressive. But that is their response, not my question.  

I can't even grow good tomatoes!

Oh, tornadoes. Funny to me that people think tornadoes can go anywhere, but we have "regions" that they are popular in. More popular in the "Bible Belt." Not as popular in Canada or Europe. (Hey, take off that belt.) Last tornadoes here hit 6 miles from me, but we get high winds and storms that break off limbs and uproot trees. St. Louis, Mo. got that too. When I lived in Illinois we had an area close to the drive in theater called "tornado alley." They always went through right there. Tornadoes may increase now with uncertain weather patterns and global warming. Yes, I believe in global warming but do not believe that we are causing it. Look at history and evidence of green plants once in icy wastelands. The earth wobbles like a top, and some say we are 1 degree off the previous axis right now. It may get worse.

Tornadoes and lightning do have patterns. They are often in the same places repeatedly. The same areas ca be hit by tornadoes again and again. Lightning can and does strike in the same place twice. Both of these things are electrical in nature and created by the stirring of winds. From times before Ben Franklin until now, we do not understand these things properly. We simply talk around them.

Dennis, your response, "Yes, I believe in global warming but do not believe that we are causing it" puzzles me. I agree the Earth wabbles like a top, and it goes on a cycle,

There are collective effects of changes in the Earth's movements upon its climate called the Milankovitch theory. Variations in Earth's orbit creates changes in climatic patterns: eccentricityaxial tiltprecession orbital forcing.

"The Earth's axis completes one full cycle of precession approximately every 26,000 years. At the same time the elliptical orbit rotates more slowly. The combined effect of the two precessions leads to a 21,000-year period between the astronomical seasons and the orbit. In addition, the angle between Earth's rotational axis and the normal to the plane of its orbit (obliquity) oscillates between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees on a 41,000-year cycle. It is currently 23.44 degrees and decreasing."

Milankovitch theory

Historically, under the influence of cycles, Ice Ages come and go as do extinctions. When there is a lot of volcanic activity, for example, they are correlated with changes in water and air temperatures of Earth. Remember, correlation does not mean cause, they happen together. in this case, there is a strong correlation.

Present CO2 amounts are not correlated with Milankovitch Theory or volcanic activity, but with the Industrial Revolution. I urge you to read Ruth's posts on this. She has done a thorough job of searching out studies on climate change, and I am interested in your assessment after reading her articles.

Thanks for the opportunity to re-look at this important issue. 

Exactly Joan.  It's not something to "believe in" or not.  It's been shown to be scientifically true.

Thanks, Joan. You are much more "up" on this than I am. I agree with your facts and theories and will read up more on it myself. All I know for sure on this is that the "Al Gore and friends" solution will not work. That system just gives credits to pollute, and makes money for them. It doesn't solve the problem.

Dennis, I agree about Gore 100%. His basic diagnosis is correct, his remedy is not. Sounds kind of like medicine, doesn't it!

I was watching the news about the tornadoes in Moore.  A reporter was interviewing a woman that had lost everything and the first thing out of her mouth was, "god giveth and god taketh away"!!  The best one is when they picked up a sign and the sign said something to the effect of , people of Moore are blessed  and will continue to be,  signed Oral Roberts!!!!  I guess god will supernaturally put Moore back to the way it was before the tornadoes.  Or they might say, thank you lord for bringing jobs back to Moore.  By the way, you at least could ease up on the flooding!

god giveth and taketh, god works in mysterious ways, and god is good.  one of these things is not like the other, no?  

god is simultaneously loving and vengeful, omnipotent but not responsible, the man with the plan, but who's worshipers try desperately to alter it.  

it's all ridiculous.  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service