I have wondered for years if there is a correlation between atheism and left or right hemispherical dominance in the brain. I am right brained, (and left handed) 11/5. You can take the test yourself to determine your dominant side.

http://www.intelliscript.net/test_area/questionnaire/questionnaire....

I know the right brain is visually, emotionally, and creatively motivated and the left is logical, systematic, and mathamatical. I would like to know if there is a predominance of one side over the other in atheism.

Views: 203

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hand dominance and brain dominance are not related. I think the "left handed, right brained" thing is probably confirmation bias.
Right Brain/ Left Brain Quiz
The higher of these two numbers below indicates which side of your brain has dominance in your life. Realising your right brain/left brain tendancy will help you interact with and to understand others.
Left Brain Dominance: 6(6)
Right Brain Dominance: 15(15)

I'm right-handed but I think it's more learnt than anything. There was a time I had a hand injury and couldn't use my right hand for about a month. I had to use my left hand and the learning process was painless. The key was to move my left hand exactly the opposite direction I would with my right hand. Also, when I was a child and began learning to play piano, my teacher kept paid an extra attention to my right hand because my left fingers were more forceful than my right fingers. I also find drawing with my left hand isn't too difficult, just need practice because it gets tired quite easily and still cna't do great details.
The higher of these two numbers below indicates which side of your brain has dominance in your life. Realising your right brain/left brain tendancy will help you interact with and to understand others.
Left Brain Dominance: 7(7)
Right Brain Dominance: 7(7)

My number seem low compared to others also; anybody know why that is?
There are a couple of questions that are basically the same but worded differently. Maybe they cancel each other out?
glenn dont worry this just means we use both sides of our brain equally one dosent dominate the other witch i.m.o is a good thing
Left Brain Dominance: 9(9)
Right Brain Dominance: 9(9)
well this was very surprising to me
Does this really indicate anything? I'm a strong NTP according to Myers-Briggs type indicator. Aren't right-brained people should be more emotional than logical?

I'm also questioning the accuracy of those questions. For example, the question about using feeling when driving. I chose yes because when I'm lost or don't know direction, I usually use my instinct but it doesn't always work correctly. It's just my preference cause sometimes I'm just too lazy to open a map. I'm a great map reader, by the way. If that helps…
Yes the questions were very black and white
Talia,
Thank you for this additional information. It also explains the results very clearly if we would wish to work on any of our lower percentages. Of course they would be clear to me, my dominance is all verbal. (left brain) 54% Verbal (Your most dominant characteristic)
There was a folksinger in the 1970's, Joanna Cazden, who wrote a song about "Southpaw Liberation"; she was makng an "in the closet analogy" with Gay Liberation, which was getting underway at the time. The chorus of the song was

Pass the laws, pass the laws,
make it clear in every clause,
left-handers are humanoid!
We've got to keep them unemployed!
Southpaw Liberation
is the ruin of our nation!
Pass the laws!
Left Brain Dominance: 8(8)
Right Brain Dominance: 9(9)

Begods, I seem to be well balanced. Though I write left handed, I use my right hand for a mouse (in fact I have great difficulty using the mouse with my left hand). When I used to be in a gun club I shot right handed but used my left eye to aim with, same as I do with a camera and if I throw a ball I use my right hand.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service