I have wondered for years if there is a correlation between atheism and left or right hemispherical dominance in the brain. I am right brained, (and left handed) 11/5. You can take the test yourself to determine your dominant side.

http://www.intelliscript.net/test_area/questionnaire/questionnaire....

I know the right brain is visually, emotionally, and creatively motivated and the left is logical, systematic, and mathamatical. I would like to know if there is a predominance of one side over the other in atheism.

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting, I think I'm probably 65% R-dominant, and 35% D-dominant. Too difficult to break it down in such simple catagories. My brain is really smart at some things, and really dumb at others.
You forgot one.

A-dominant: Individuals who think with their asses, such people as Bill Donohue.
Right Brain/ Left Brain Quiz
The higher of these two numbers below indicates which side of your brain has dominance in your life. Realising your right brain/left brain tendancy will help you interact with and to understand others.
Left Brain Dominance: 11(11)
Right Brain Dominance: 8(8)

Hard to say what 'should' lean one more towards Atheism. Given other aspects of my character/neurological makeup I should be way more left-side dominant, but often end up closer to or even in the middle depending on the test.
Here you go:

The higher of these two numbers below indicates which side of your brain has dominance in your life. Realising your right brain/left brain tendancy will help you interact with and to understand others.
Left Brain Dominance: 10(10)
Right Brain Dominance: 8(8)
Well, I don't know how scientific that test is, but here are my results:

Left Brain Dominance: 7(7)
Right Brain Dominance: 10(10)

I'm right handed, and right eyed, too.

I seriously doubt there is any correlation to hemispheric dominance and atheism (or skepticism). A|N alone seems to contain a multiplicity of people and backgrounds.

However, it would be interesting to know what part of the brain is involved with skepticism, a questioning nature, and a distrust of authority.
I agree the test is rather brief and unscientific as is, but the idea of hemisphereic dominance playing a role in atheism does not seem too far fetched. I think that if the differences in domination are so apparent in other aspects of ones personality then there may be a connection to ones propensity towards atheism.

As I had stated, the main reason for my thoughts was Dean Hamers' book, which I read years ago. I do not think there is a god gene, or an atheist gene, for that matter. But I do think there may be some neural connection to these ideas. As with most neural activity, it is probably going to be centralized in a given region.

Generally speaking, it seems that most highly emotional people tend to be believers and that the most analytical of people are more likely to not believe. Makes sense. So, I must wonder if it goes deeper than this?
"I'm right handed, and right eyed, too."

Interesting, since Right-brain generally controls the left side and vice versa. Right-brain dominant often means left-handed, left-eyed, etc.
I am so left (analytical) I had to pause when I read the question "If I have a tough decision to make, so I write down the pros and the cons" because it's a huge grammatical error.

I can summarise the test... if the question "If I have a tough decision to make, so I write down the pros and the cons" annoys you, you're probably left brained.

Left Brain Dominance: 14(14)
Right Brain Dominance: 7(7)
Left Brain Dominance: 10(10)
Right Brain Dominance: 7(7)

Not surprised one bit.
Left Brain Dominance: 8(8)
Right Brain Dominance: 5(5)
13. Some people think I'm psychic (???)

Uh, yeah, stupid people....
I do believe this question was meant to determine how others perceive your intuitive capabilities. Similar to when we say, "You must have read my mind!"

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Will-I Am S. replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
12 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Joe's discussion The IRS Says It Will Finally Enforce the Rules Barring Pastors from Endorsing Candidates from the Pulpit in the group Atheist News
24 minutes ago
Idaho Spud replied to Joe's discussion The IRS Says It Will Finally Enforce the Rules Barring Pastors from Endorsing Candidates from the Pulpit in the group Atheist News
29 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion The IRS Says It Will Finally Enforce the Rules Barring Pastors from Endorsing Candidates from the Pulpit in the group Atheist News
33 minutes ago
Luara replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
35 minutes ago
Patricia replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Why Does Prince George Have Brown Eyes? in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
42 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Media Issues
42 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Richard Goscicki's discussion Marijuana and Atheism
45 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
47 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
49 minutes ago
Richard Goscicki replied to Richard Goscicki's discussion Marijuana and Atheism
56 minutes ago
Luara replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
57 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service