I have wondered for years if there is a correlation between atheism and left or right hemispherical dominance in the brain. I am right brained, (and left handed) 11/5. You can take the test yourself to determine your dominant side.

http://www.intelliscript.net/test_area/questionnaire/questionnaire....

I know the right brain is visually, emotionally, and creatively motivated and the left is logical, systematic, and mathamatical. I would like to know if there is a predominance of one side over the other in atheism.

Views: 203

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son had an unusual writing tactic in his first few years at school - he'd write his forename with his left hand then swap to his right hand to write his surname.
Roughly 90% of the population is right handed. This is open to speculation due to the practices of society at ostracizing left handers.
Yeah, those catholics are brutal! lol! My mother went to catholic school. She is not religious and never even thought of catholic school for me. Whew!!!
My curiosity was aroused by reading Dean Hamers' "The God Gene". He proposes that we are hard wired to believe in, or create gods for psychological defense mechanisms. The research that I have seen shows activity in various parts of the brain and is not necessarily respective to a particular side. I believe Dean Hamer was uttering propoganda to boost the public perception that god and science can exist in harmony! Blah, Blah, Blah!!!

Here is some more interesting left brain/right brain stuff! http://www.viewzone.com/bicam.html. Enjoy!
Right Brain/ Left Brain Quiz
The higher of these two numbers below indicates which side of your brain has dominance in your life. Realising your right brain/left brain tendancy will help you interact with and to understand others.
Left Brain Dominance: 9(9)
Right Brain Dominance: 12(12)

Not much in it.
The higher of these two numbers below indicates which side of your brain has dominance in your life. Realising your right brain/left brain tendancy will help you interact with and to understand others.
Left Brain Dominance: 11(11)
Right Brain Dominance: 12(12)

I'm left-handed too, if that matters.
Left Brain Dominance: 6(6)
Right Brain Dominance: 9(9)

When I first started writing/drawing/painting and developed a strong preference for my left hand, my parents freaked out and made me use my right instead. I used to use my left hand when no one was looking, hehe ^^
ooh... how 'sinister' ;)
haha indeed! :D
"When I first started writing/drawing/painting and developed a strong preference for my left hand, my parents freaked out and made me use my right instead. I used to use my left hand when no one was looking, hehe ^^"

Weird - I never did understand the big deal about trying to make kids be right-handed.

Me: Right handed by nature but ambidextrous by force. Nerve injury to the right shoulder at 16 left me with a few years of regaining motor control and a lifetime of it-hurts-to-do-that. Never could write left handed but taught myself to do most everything else with the left. Gained even more sympathy for people who try and force kids to be right-handed when that's not their natural inclination!
Left Brain Dominance: 10(10)
Right Brain Dominance: 3(3)

I Think some of the questins were wrong to be reduced to yes/no questions, as most of my answers would be context specific.... so i would consider these to be flawed results....

oh yeah, i am right handed, and left footed...
Found this online:

The 3 types of brain dominance can be labelled as L-dominant, R-dominant, and D-dominant.

- L-dominant represents the Left-brain dominant individuals: Someone who is L-dominant has the personality type of someone who spends most of their mental energy on logic focused rational thought. The essence of their brain activity occurs in the left side of their brain and logic is their primary filter. Those on the far end of this type can sometimes seem cold or even emotionless.

- R-dominant represents Right-brain dominant individuals: On the other hand R-dominant personalities show more brain activities in the right hemisphere and mean that these type of people are more emotional. They usually look at life through the filter of their passions. Those at the extreme end of this personality type might sometimes seem too emotional or even irrational, most especially to the L-dominant.

- D-dominant represents Dual-brain dominant individuals: D-dominant individuals are people whose personality is made up of a balanced blend of both mental components. Their minds are dominated neither by logic, nor by emotions. Tests conclude these types of people use their brain hemispheres equally, and they view life through both logical and intuitive filters. D-dominants are hemispherically balanced.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service