Laveyan Satanism, if someone told you they were whats your first impression?

tltle says it all, i decided to put the subject here because in todays world first impressions can be a deal breaker and people now seem to come to conclussions way too quickly for there own good, it seems to many people don't take the time and simply don't have the interest to ask "yah? well is it what it sounds like? what do they believe? so why is it called? well whats this about than? so if your a part of a atheistic religion (religion i mean as in way of life) group etc that for some reason or another is not understood well even in the atheist community put what it is and what it's about or if your interested in other peoples way of life and mind set please reply and add to this discussion

me personally im an Laveyan Athesist and im hoping none of you all got any wrong opinions of us due to some retard just looking to be called a satanist and if you do have a wrong oppression than i guess thats what im here for in this case

Views: 1066

Replies to This Discussion

I have a big problem with the idea of adhering to philosophies in general.  Slapping yourself with a label makes people automatically think that you've checked the "Agree with All" button on the basics of that philosophy ... particularly with a religious-sounding philosophy, since that's what people do (or at least claim to do) with their religious beliefs.

... never mind the fact that most people ignore the bulk of the creed and beliefs of their chosen religion.

The most I'll say on the subject is that I agree with most of the tenets of Secular Humanism, as much as I've looked into the subject.

i also don't like when people follow a religion to have a label, i personally hold the label because iv haven't had reason to disagree with the philosophy, so its easier and with no distortion of the truth to say im Laveyan and i can us saying im Laveyan as iv said on another comment ether way ill study secular humanism if you want to say something about it please do.
the only part i see about secular humanism or Humanism that is so far important yet unclear is there view on individual responsibility in there view of ethics "Ethics – A search for viable individual, social and political principles of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human well-being and individual responsibility.".......... yah im finding bits and pieces i don't agree with

At first glance, Laveyan Satanism reminds me of the Band Black Sabbath, and on second impression, I am reminded of a girl I talked to online and met once - I quit talking ot her because she is unreliable and doesn't keep good track of time, but she also said she followed wicca and invited me to her home even though we barely knew each other, in addition she told me some fake stories as if she was being serious... and she called me at 9pm once and said her friend's car broke down and she wanted me to drive to her home and then she wanted us both to drive to her friend, on the side of the road in a low class neighborhood in my town... don't make people think you meshuga like this girl...

The thing is, I don't see the problem with having a worldview or a set of personal maxiums. But when you give your worldview an official name - especially a name that reminds people of christianity or European superstitions - and treat it like a religion, then that is either too silly for me or scary if you that serious about your laveyan Satanism worldview. If I think about it I could tell you my personal maxiums and the types of philosophy I most believe in, but I don't say that my religion is, for example objectivism or small government conservatism. To be frank, I say drop the laveyan Satanism label and find some fun hobbies or activity you like - I am on a bowling league but I don't say that bowling is my religion.

ok, let me take all that you've said and divide it up and put it to maybe a few responses starting with your first thing
the first part please rewrite. "you don't consciously think about having a specific moral code," yes thats true i don't "you just (hopefully) are naturally a well behaved person by default." by default id say i choose to use logic to decide how and what im going to do so if you mean well behaved like stable than yes im the most patient person i know "Stop right there with this and drop the laveyan Satanism label" oh yes because becoming arrogantly demanding solves problems "another part of your brain thinks you are bad by default" i DO NOT have the sence in seeing someone as a good guy or bad guy rather i see them as bits and pieces of there personality to come up with at least a glimpse of how they function "unless you make yourself look suspicious and then have arguments with people about your worldview or laveyan satanism or whatever, "ok they came to me with questions because this discussion is about uncommon or misunderstood religions or life stances, i did not initiate any argument, i used.............
Laveyan Satanism as an example of how the discussion would work which i think worked beautifully but i do wish people would talk about there uncommon or misunderstood philosophy and this all had the purpose of showing first impression biased (a important subject in dating) of a life stance vs the reality of that life stance. "ok until you finally turn yourself into a good person by triumphing over or winning against your opponents in your arguments." my objective is not to win arguments, people have there own opinions and i accept that, but people also tend to get biased info about uncommon life stances, im here to simply clear that up and also learn from others as they do the same and you criticise me over using a label when you've already labeled others with being good or bad based on your own belief system so if using labels is bad than i think you have the more extensive problem.
"This behavior and these attitudes give me the impression that you are chronically depressed/angry and might need professional help." and your behavior and your jump-to-conclusion arrogance and personal bias against anyone who doesn't conduct themselves by your beliefs makes me think you are ignorant, unwilling to learn about other's philosophy, and mentally stuck in you narrow and stubborn ways of viewing things which to me would need professional help to get you out of your own bubble. now on to the 2nd of your replies
"At first glance, Laveyan Satanism reminds me of the Band Black Sabbath" you'd have to explain. "and on second impression, I am reminded of a girl I talked to online and met once - I quit talking ot her because she is unreliable and doesn't keep good track of time, but she also said she followed wicca and invited me to her home even though we barely knew each other, in addition she told me some fake stories as if she was being serious... and she called me at 9pm once and said her friend's car broke down and she wanted me to drive to her home and then she wanted us both to drive to her friend, on the side of the road in a low class neighborhood in my town... don't make people think you meshuga like this girl..." im sorry you get that oppression of Laveyan Satanism from her, seems you just had a bad experience with a girl who had problems of her own but you shouldn't project her inadequaties on a life stances of which she probably didn't follow.
"The thing is, I don't see the problem with having a worldview or a set of personal maxiums. But when you give your worldview an official name - especially a name that reminds people of christianity or European superstitions - and treat it like a religion, then that is either too silly for me or scary if you that serious about" well by definition it is a religion and fits it's criteria, and you should understand a label is only a summarising of a complex idea or object by using a name like chair instead of a stable platform of which to place the human body, the problem with labels is that its based on whats commonly known about the name it'self so it's subject to misinterpretations based on the reputation of the word(s) that make up it's name.

I find LaVeyan Atheists / Satanists to be a little on the silly side.  It truly appears to be purely for shock value.  The use of the Christian devil as the symbol adds to that effect.  Sure, you say that you do not care about what others think of you - so why be intentionally antagonistic?  All of the Satanists that I have known are all former Christians rebelling against their upbringing.  I have not met a single one who grew up in a non-religious family.

Adhering to the philosophies of a writer like Anton LaVey is just one step removed from religion.  I do not understand the need for this structure, the titles, or the bizarre imagery. 

I also find that this philosophy only serves to degrade the general populations of atheists in the minds of theists.  The theists fear atheists enough as it is, and many think that we are victims/worshipers of their devil.  While this is certainly not true, baiting them with the use of the Satanic images does little to quell their fears. 

My opinions on LaVeyan Satanism itself (imagery and obvious attention-seeking behavior) are even more harsh.  The 9 Statements, 11 Rules and 9 Sins are absurd.  Seek vengeance?   Treat someone who annoys you in your own home cruelly and without mercy?  Destroy someone who repeatedly irritates you in public? Choose a master wisely?

The fact that there is "lesser magic" and "greater magic" with rituals ...really?

In all, I find it to be a pretty douchey philosophy.

Ah, I see you've done much more thorough research of it than I have.  Heh heh heh.  I hadn't gotten most of the specifics, but it's good to see that those details live up to my first impression.

I had a conversation with one guy who was pressing himself upon me, trying to convince me that I should be a Satanist.  There was some sort of list of 7 or 8 beliefs, and if you agree with those, you're a Satanist, according to him.

Uh, no ... no I'm not.  This isn't at all like the atheism/agnosticism differentiation.  Atheism and agnosticism aren't loaded down with all of this other bullshit.  Atheism tells you nothing, except that the atheist doesn't believe in deities.  Satanism is loaded down with all sorts of other crap.  "Okay, now that's you've accepted the basics of our philosophy, here's some other crazy shit you should accept, too."

If you want to convince someone to accept some of the insane things in Laveyan Satanism, divine command would help.  Otherwise, you can just pick and choose things that sound good, and then why have a philosophy in the first place, if you're going to ignore what you don't like?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Patricia replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
7 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
11 minutes ago
Steve replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
16 minutes ago
The Devian replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
17 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
19 minutes ago
Future replied to MattyLJ's discussion Ever had a family member die
21 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Freethinker31's discussion Family Values
28 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
38 minutes ago
Profile IconLeon K and Taxi Paul joined Atheist Nexus
43 minutes ago
Idaho Spud replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Don't leave your keys on your desk: company copies keys from photos for $6 in the group Hang With Friends
48 minutes ago
Grinning Cat added a discussion to the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Optical Illusions in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service