Laveyan Satanism, if someone told you they were whats your first impression?

tltle says it all, i decided to put the subject here because in todays world first impressions can be a deal breaker and people now seem to come to conclussions way too quickly for there own good, it seems to many people don't take the time and simply don't have the interest to ask "yah? well is it what it sounds like? what do they believe? so why is it called? well whats this about than? so if your a part of a atheistic religion (religion i mean as in way of life) group etc that for some reason or another is not understood well even in the atheist community put what it is and what it's about or if your interested in other peoples way of life and mind set please reply and add to this discussion

me personally im an Laveyan Athesist and im hoping none of you all got any wrong opinions of us due to some retard just looking to be called a satanist and if you do have a wrong oppression than i guess thats what im here for in this case

Views: 1057

Replies to This Discussion

I can't speak for everyone, but personally, I don't like all atheists simply because they are atheist. Therefore, I won't dislike you, just because you aren't one. I'm not aware of what a Laveyan atheist is, so could you please explain it?

I think by the grammer, part of what you said could be taken the opposite of what you mean.

"I don't like all atheists simply because they are atheist."

Really? What have you got against atheism?

I think I know what you really mean by that, but it doesn't sound like it.

Not really. You're mixing up 'don't like' and 'dislike'. She used the correct one. 'Don't like' is the neutral. 'Dislike' is the negative.

She used it correctly, but most people don't read it correctly. Her use of the quantifier 'all' helps clarify her meaning, as well.
well Laveyan satanism is actually a atheistic religion and can be described basically with one sentence and thats " Laveyan satanism is atheism with no moral values for morals sake" so just think of a guy with no god, no sence of morals (like he doesn't see things as right and wrong but more on the lines of benefiting and not or productive and none productive), the reason it's called satanism is because in the hebrew language satan means the accuser or opposer and at the time the religion was starting up many felt that it was just that but the reality of it was it was started not to oppose but because like any group they had a similar view on life and lived by them, the name satanism is also symbolic because in the mainstream understanding of satan he was a character that tempted man to give in to his desires and because of satan's conflict in genisis he was also viewed symbolicly as intelligent, and free willed not bowing down to lesser man for his maker and so now it represents being free and to act on ....
your own will and not that of a deity

My first impression is that it's pretty silly and a little on the childish side.  For one thing, identifying yourself by using Christianity's mythological symbols doesn't seem to give yourself a very strong position.  It just screams teen-aged, wannabe rebel.

Also, don't most Laveyan Satanists believe in all sorts of other woo-woo stuff?  It's like the guy who shows up at an atheist meetup who doesn't believe in gods, but he believes in everything else.  If someone believes in crystal power, homeopathy, chakras, ghosts, and the planet Nibiru, I don't feel any more kinship to him than I would a theist.  Being a skeptic is just as important as being an atheist.

So, why do you consider yourself a Laveyan Satanist?  What additional meaning to you gain from the label, which is worth the baggage that comes with the label?

it seems to me whoever you've seen is a poser trying to get attention or someone id think is delusional, we don't believe in any woo-woo stuff and if you mean woo woo as in sexual stuff than because Laveyans are VERY independent whatever your sexuality is we say go for it if you want and see how it goes, we don't believe in anything theist like so that crystal power stuff is not from us again probably a poser, some might believe in ghost in a scientific way i myself am skeptical about it, "My first impression is that it's pretty silly and a little on the childish side.  For one thing, identifying yourself by using Christianity's mythological symbols doesn't seem to give yourself a very strong position.  It just screams teen-aged, wannabe rebel." for those who don't understand why we used a christian character symbolicly yes i do agree it really doesn't support a good reputation but really we don't care about reputation because those who judge by the appearance of things are generally less intelligent and we
don't care for those who are not willing to think for themselves and come to there own conclusion so instead they believe whatever the popular masses believe, as of is the label worth carrying that would depend on the individual Laveyan, for me i say yes because it shows me how people think when they find out or i tell them so i use the label to my advantage rather than hiding what i am simply because the masses don't like it

Then there are a lot of posers who adopt the Laveyan Satanist label and get wrapped up with the new-age movement.  You guys need to do a bit of housecleaning.

Sounds like you've got a bit of a superiority trip going there.  Heh.  That's another trait I've noticed in the handful of Laveyan Satanists I've known.

So, what you're telling me is that you don't care what initial impression the label you select says to people, and that anyone who gets that impression is too stupid to be worth your time?  You're really selling me on the idea, man.  After hearing you explain it, I have an even more negative opinion of Laveyan Satanism than I started with.

"So, what you're telling me is that you don't care what initial impression the label you select says to people" exactly because Laveyans are extremely individualistic if someone has a negative opinion of us but has all the facts correct than thats just fine, we have our opinions as individuals and they have theres

"and that anyone who gets that impression is too stupid to be worth your time?" depends, if they have there facts correct and have a negative opinion than there not stupid they just don't see eye to eye, now if they don't like us out of ignorance than i think i could safely say they don't care for any truths so they are probably stupid (because they hold an opinion on the bases of there lack of knowledge) and if they don't care to find the facts out of laziness than they are just lazy and thats there thing whatever the popular opinion we really don't care so long as we don't get into conflicts over it. i just like explain and doing this kind of stuff so im not a missionary im really just bored

If someone told me they were a Laveyan atheist, my first impression would be intrigue, because there are so few around; next I would try to find out if they were true to the 'religion' or not, basically to find out if they were just saying it to get a rise out me.

I think Laveyan atheists are a kind of Randism translated into a personal creed/religion. Would not offend me, in fact I would probably think more highly of the person because they actually have a codified set of personal values.

lol and what are those personal values do you think and yes those who say they are Laveyan but really just saying it to get attention are annoying and as rare as we are it does give us a bad reputation and sadly people want to believe we are all like that because thats how we've been viewed by the mainstream, and the satanic panic didn't help much ether

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service