It was just a matter of time before some loudmouthed, ignorant fundamentalist — Pat Robertson or one of his ilk — opened his mouth and stuck his foot in it. This time the short straw from the short bus was Senior pastor Cho Yong-gi of Yoido Full Gospel Church, a Pentecostal church on Yeouido (Yoi Island) in Seoul, South Korea.

I fear that this disaster may be warnings from God against the Japanese people’s atheism and materialism.

I hope that these series of events will drive the Japanese to turn their eyes towards God.

Click the links for more info, or check out my blog entry for my further commentary.

Tags: Cho Yong-gi, Japan, Korea, Yoido Full Gospel Church, asshole, atheism, blog, earthquake, fundamentalist, materialism

Views: 35

Replies to This Discussion

WAS she mocking it?  I honestly couldn't tell.  At least with Betty Bowers, her vocal attitude and her over-the-top material gives me some clue.  Here there was no "nod-and-a-wink" at all, not that I saw, anyway.

Yeah, I know she issued a disclaimer, which I saw and was not much impressed with.  I'll grant you, I don't have much of a sense of humor, but I have none as it comes to crap like this.

You're missing the point, Loren.  Betty Bowers is straight out parody.  The whole thing is done in pure sarcasm.

With TamTamPamela's videos, half of the fun is watching the idiots who agree with her persona.  I imagine she's really an atheist, judging from the earlier videos she posted about atheists.  She just went a little too over the top with this last one, I guess.

Even in this latest one, she wasn't saying anything that lots of real fundies don't actually think.  Didn't you see Pat Robertson's comments about Haiti?  He may not have said anything about it yet, but I imagine he feels the same about Japan.

Maybe you can call it "fun."  I can't ... but then I've never had any taste for humor that came at another's expense.  Based on that and the Poe principle, someone could find the antics of the WBC as funny as TTP's are.  Personally, I find no humor in either of them.
The difference is that one actually believes that crap and the other doesn't
Yeah, the Poe who mocks the fundies is funny, after the reveal.  The fundies are not.

I can't ... but then I've never had any taste for humor that came at another's expense.

Some people richly deserve it.  Mockery also serves a purpose.  Some people can be shocked out of their silly beliefs, if you mock them enough for it.  At the very least, though, even if you can't reach the person you're directing it at, others may respond to the mockery and avoid following the target's beliefs.

The WBC isn't posting their message on YouTube.  They're showing up at people's solemn events and inflicting their views on people.  No one ever had to watch one of TamTamPamela's videos.

I wasn't angry at her at all. I was a little disappointed that:

a) I didn't think of it first.

b) I fell for it.

Nah, I wouldn't be disappointed about B.  She's good.  Right there with you on A.  Although, it wouldn't work nearly as well for you and me, because we're not cute girls.
Liking or not liking this scam depends on our own personalities. I don't like it. I feel like I've been lied to and manipulated, and on top of it all she's probably snickering at anyone, like me, who is gullible enough to fall for her scam. I'm tired of being lied to by people in all aspects of public and private life. That she found it easy, and funny, to pull the wool over my eyes makes me dislike her. Some people love a good scam. They would like this. It's a practical joke. But for me it's immature.

That said, I love Edward Current. I feel like he's so obvious, he is not pulling the wool over our eyes. However, I know that some people are fooled by his satire.

It's a fine line. Im probably being arbitrary where I draw it. Plus, in the end, it's not very important. By tomorrow, I will have forgotten it. That's the good thing about aging.

That's the nature of a Poe.  If you make it clear that you're mocking people, you're not a Poe.  Edward Current is also just parody.  Anyone who's fooled by him is a freaking moron.

The guys from South Park had a perfect point, when they had the whole blow up with Isaac Hayes.  Either everything is open game or nothing is.  It doesn't work otherwise.  Even manatees know that.

I'm interested in the manatees understanding Poe. When did they get internet access? Does the sea water have an effect on their ipads?

They assemble scripts with those plastic playground balls.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s10e04-cartoon-wars-p...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service