I got a Jury Duty summons and I have to go on Monday.

How do Atheists handle the swearing in?

Can you ask for a secular swearing?

And what about the "so help me god" part?

Anyone know anything about this?

Anyone serve on a jury and have some advise.

Well - I got another Jury Duty summons .....

I was chosen for this Jury service and I served and found a verdict with the other 12.

Views: 1271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow!  I don't know how I would feel about that.  Deciding on someone's guilt.  I would think, Am I sure?  Am I really sure?  

That's how I would feel about it Sentient! 

Yes Sentient and such a serious crime. Too bad you can't start with easier trials to start and then move up to more experienced ones later on.

But, I'm so glad I was excused.

The first time I had jury duty when I was in my mid-20s I was placed on a murder trial.  A gang shooting.  Shot point-blank to the head while sitting in a car next to his girlfriend.  Gruesome photos and details.  The girlfriend and other supposed gang members were put on the witness stand.  Nobody had any credibility.  The girlfriend had changed her testimony on several key issues regarding clothes worn and the color of the shooters eyes and length of hair.  We ended up finding the defendant not guilty because of lack of evidence.  However, as a gang member himself, the defendant surely was not innocent of other activities that were eluded to during the trial but stricken from the record.  But those events were not what he was on trial for.  

Court trials are a VERY orderly process and details and key points are excruciatingly repeated and explained by lawyers in order to make an impact upon the jury in order to understand.  I've stated before, it's been my experience that members of the jury take their task very seriously.  If you can make a personal pledge to be an unbiased jury member, dare I say.....even a cave-man can do it.  I've found jury duty to be quite rewarding.......especially, as a few years ago, we on the jury awarded a young college kid $475.000 as a result of being hit and maimed by a reckless taxi driver.  Justice was served.  The system works.    

YOU SO NOT HAVE TO "SWEAR" YOU CAN "AFFRIM" YOU ARE TELLING THE TRUTH 

Well it looks like I got summoned yet again fro Jury Duty.

I wonder what the odds are on being selected for jury duty just once--let alone twice.

I am like the vast majority of the public in going through all of my life without being selected by the cut-off age for jury duty of 70--or is it 75?

I've been selected for jury duty about five or six times in the past 25 years.  Sometimes I need to report, sometimes I've served on a jury, and sometimes the telephone recording excuses me the night before.  My father was another person who got summoned regularly.  It does seem that some people get summoned a lot more than others.     

that is being selected quite often Flying Atheist - well I go on Monday and I'll see what happens

WHILE I HAVE BEEN ON JURY DUTY MORE THAN A FEW TIMES, I DO NOT REMEMBER HOW MANY,\

\WHERE I RUNNING THINGS, ALL THOSE HOW HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH A TRIAL JUDGE,, COURT REPORTER, ATTORNEYS AND JURORS WOULD ALL HAVE TO TAKE COURSES ON HOW TO LISTEN WITH HIGHER COMPREHENSION.

I SAY THIS AS DURING A MANAGEMENT TRAINING COURSE, WE HAD OUR LISTENING SKILLS TESTED. WE WERE TOLD WE WERE HAVING A LISTENING TEST AND IT WAS WRITTEN IN BIG LETTERS ON A WHITE BOARD. SO ALL THOSE IN THE CLASS WERE FULLY AWARE THEY WERE BEING TESTED ON THEIR LISTENING SKILLS.

AS PART OF A SUPERVISORS OR MANAGERS IS LISTENING, ONE WOULD HOPE WE LISTENED WITH MORE COMPREHENSION THAN DO MOST. AND YET THE TEST SHOWED THE AVERAGE SUPERVISOR IN A HIGH TECH COMPANY, ONLY LISTENED WITH 23 PERCENT COMPREHENSION WHEN THEY KNEW THEY WERE BEING TESTED FOR IT!   SO WE LEARNED HOW TO LISTEN AND WERE AGAIN TESTED,  THIS TIME THE AVERAGE WAS A WHOLE 46 PERCENT, WHICH IS STILL TERRIBLE!

SO HOW TERRIBLE IS THE PERCENT OF LISTENING COMPREHENSION FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON?   THE ODDS ARE GOOD, IT IS LESS THAN 20 PERCENT!

AS THIS WAS SHOCKING TO ME, I BECAME KNOWN AS "MEMO MAN"  THIS AS I KNOW THE WRITTEN WORD IS A RECORD OF WHO SAID WHAT AND WHEN THEY SAID IT.

NOW TO PAT MYSELF ON THE BACK, I GOT 46 PERCENT ON THE FIRST TEST AND 96 PERCENT AFTER LEARNING HOW TO LISTEN.  I WAS TOLD THAT UP TO THAT TIME (1966) I HAD GOTTEN THE HIGHEST LISTENING COMPREHENSION SKILLS SCORE EVER GOTTEN (WORLD WIDE) IN THIS COURSE.

ANYWHO AS LISTENING IS A VERY IMPORTANT PART OF BEING ON A JURY, METHINKS IT SHOULD BE STRESSED,  

I have been offered the chance to swear on a bible a couple of times either at court or at a lawyer's. Each time I have said that I prefer to swear by the 'honour' alternative, and the court or lawyer has obliged. 

Thank you Dr. Meaden - I will make sure to say something about that

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service