I got a Jury Duty summons and I have to go on Monday.

How do Atheists handle the swearing in?

Can you ask for a secular swearing?

And what about the "so help me god" part?

Anyone know anything about this?

Anyone serve on a jury and have some advise.

Well - I got another Jury Duty summons .....

I was chosen for this Jury service and I served and found a verdict with the other 12.

Views: 1080

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sure it varies from state to state and even municipality to municipality, but the three or four times I've served on jury duty here in Chicago, Illinois, I never once had to swear an oath to god.  I wasn't even asked to, as it seems it's not a part of our normal process.  The last time I had jury duty about two years ago, after the jury was selected but before opening statements were made, I recall the judge asking all twelve of us if we felt confident whether we could individually listen to all the facts of the case and come to a personal decision about a resolution based on the merits of the arguments.  (Paraphrased, but something like that.)  No swearing in, no oath.  Just an understanding of agreement.  Believe me, from what I've personally seen take place in the deliberation room, people take the role of juror very seriously.  It has given me confidence in our legal system......for the most part.    

HERE IN CA., WE HAVE TO SWEAR OR AFFIRM

WHILE TRUE ABOUT MOST ON A JURY TAKING IT SERIOUSLY, ONE JURY I WAS ON HAD A WOMEN WHO SAID:  "OH HE CAN NOT BE GUILTY AS HE IS TOO NICE LOOKING"

SO I ASKED HER IF SHE KNEW WHO TED BUNDY WAS, AFTER OUR EDUCATING HER, WE FOUND THE GUY GUILTY, 

I don't recall having to be sworn in the one time I was on a Jury. Even if there was something like that I wouldn't mind just saying 'i do' or whatever at the end. It's just a formality. I mean all you're really agreeing to is that you'll take your job as a juror seriously. It's not like they're asking you to accept jesus as your lord and savior.

Most states have a rule on the books already. Where do you live? 

In Florida, one only raises a hand, no Bible. In most cases, they do say "so help me god", but all yo ureply is "I do" so there's no real option to avoid it. 

thank you Patrick

"I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth."  should suffice for any witness giving testimony.  As a juror, I don't think any such statement is required of you.  If there was some objection to leaving out the "so help me god.", I think "Are you SERIOUS?" is an appropriate reply.

Most "swearing in statements" are, "Do you swear or AFFIRM ...". When I worked for the Denver health department I was a witness in a number of cases and that was what I was asked - and there was no, "so help me god", at the end.

I'm in IL and I literally just left the courtroom a few hours ago. We just had to swear. No mention of religion. I was excused for medical reasons.

I had to do the "so help me god" swearing in - but it was entire room of people - I omitted the last part. The just expect everyone to just go along with it - don't even ask if anyone object to that.

Anyway, I approached the bench and I got excused because I am enrolled in Summer Classes.

It was a Capitol Murder trial seeking death penalty - probably would have lasted from now until end of summer or longer.

Wow Steph!  Here in Illinois they didn't use the word god.  I got excused for medical reasons.  Glad you got excused.  I wouldn't want to be on a jury in a Capitol Murder trial!

yes - me too! I am so glad I am enrolled and paid in classes. I even ordered my book.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service