I've found a loophole to save the world from ending in 2012.

People are claiming the world will end on December 21, 2012, based on the Mayan calendar. Well, last night as I was watching the New Year's Eve countdowns in various places around the world, I had a thought...

If I fly west across the international date line at 11:59:59pm on 12/20/12, when I cross the date line it will turn midnight on 12/22/12...I'll have essentially skipped 12/21/12 entirely, thus avoiding the end of the world! :D

Tags: 2012, End of the world, Mayan, calendar

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, my take on the Mayan 2012 thing is that their calender was a few hundred years too long to begin with.

Didn't the Spanish kill them all out in the 1500-1600 timeframe?
Actually the Mayan civilization was long gone before Hernando and his conquistadors hit the beaches; it was the Aztecs (Mexica) that he, and his attendent bacteria, essentially wiped out. However, the Mayan people still live in Mexico, Guatemala, and Belize.
Or we could just do the thing that they did back a long time ago when they were using a screwed-up calendar and had to skip ten days to catch up with what day it really was, and just declare the day after the 20th the 22nd.
Yeah - kind of a specialized leap year - like the way we get a day back every four hundred years because leap year is caused by slightly more than a quarter day extra every year.
This is another argument against the fine-tuning argument. If there was a deity that fine-tuned the universe, you'd think he would have made the Earth rotate and revolve around the sun in a manner in which we could divide it up into perfect divisions, instead of having to make months of varying length, making every fourth year a leap year, etc. If it was really fine-tuned, you'd think we could have every month be 30 days, every year be 360 days, etc. and have it all be so precise that we wouldn't even have to have leap seconds.
PINK champagne? Domestic I presume? :0)
Oh now, don't get all snobby on me ;-).

It's pretty (says Sista Trance, High Priestess of the Invisible Pink Unicorn ;-)
Mirrors on the ceiling, pink champagne on ice
And she said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"
So I called up the Captain,
'Please bring me my wine'
He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine'

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service