I've picked up the book "The Quotable Atheist" after a short reprieve and will share my favorites, you do the same!

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"The very concept of sin comes from the bible. Christianity offers to solve a problem of its own making! Would you be thankful to a person who cut you with a knife to sell you a bandage?"
[Dan Barker]
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful, without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams

My comment: The garden of reality is exactly as beautiful, without fairies, as it is if one believes that they are there, since there is nothing to show for the existence of those fairies.

The fact that a believer is happier than a sceptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous one. - George Bernard Shaw

My comment: Some people like to get drunk - they think it feels nice - but it harms the human being. Its reward is false, harmful and temporary.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful." - unknown
TheSaintsRevenge has been off the chain lately:
Red Mass 2010 in Washington D.C. we find a woman who is moved by our stand of truth! She breaks into tears and admits it is hard to be a catholic during the crisis of child molestation in the church. I was undecided whether to post this video online or not.

well that's a long quote but:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfWHVUi6K08
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people" -House
One of my favorites, and for you...
Attachments:
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
...Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
Epicurus – Greek philosopher, BC 341-270
"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." ~H. L. Mencken

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." – Christopher Hitchens

"Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own?"- Robert G. Ingersoll

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." ~Elwyn Brooks White

"I say, if your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life." ~Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
[Bertrand Russell]

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service