Quoted from a recent comment in another group:

"A F--- is Someone who THINKS they know something about food and the science of cooking."

I've seen this grammatical construct (singular to plural) often enough to know it's, at the very least, not uncommon. I searched the net, but unfortunately I've been unable to determine wether English grammar allows it or not - I guess it doesn't. Is it indeed correct? Or common, or accepted?

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

I unabashedly use the masculine pronoun when referring to mixed groups of people or when the sex of the person in question is unknown.

Most of the time, I do the same thing.

Men have to share their pronouns, while feminine pronouns are reserved strictly for women.

I have thought the exact same thing.

I refrained from submitting a piece because I was pretty sure that most readers would miss the dig at feminist newspeak and simply think I was incredibly uptight.

Wise choice. You would have received all kinds of hate mail. :]

Using “they” when referring to a singular noun rubs me the wrong way.

I can understand, but I think in English, it is acceptable to us they. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Any thoughts from our resident experts?

I second that question.
It's a gender-cheat. Or is that sex? Whichever.

Anyway, it's used to avoid excluding or unnecessarily specifying either grammatical gender. The issue of inappropriately pluralizing the singular is less destabilizing than the stabilizing brought in by not excluding or unnecessarily specifying either grammatical gender. Not that I'm supporting this; it's completely easy to deal with the duality of "him or her", "his or her self", and "he or she".
We're not comfortable referring to a person of unknown sex (sex accrues to people, gender accrues to language, but nobody knows or cares about that distinction anymore) with the neutral gender pronoun "it", so we weasel into the plural to avoid leaving anybody out while also avoiding the cumbersome construction "he or she" or the hellishly uncouth "s/he".

Technically, it's not correct. It is, however, in common usage, and an acceptable compromise to many learned people who might otherwise be said to "know better". It is a little weird, and sometimes it sticks out like a sore thumb, but I appreciate it for what it is: a creative, simple approach to greater inclusivity in English. I usually use it myself, and I suspect it can be gotten away with in scholarly writing, subject to the prior approval of the instructor.

Personally, I think it's more jarring to hear, "They looked at all the options, but none was acceptable." None is singular, standing in for "not one", but it just doesn't sound right at all to me.

And all caps is painful to read. Lower case is a relatively modern innovation, along with spaces between words and punctuation, but now that we have these tools, we should use them in polite company. Just be thankful there is no middle case.
Personally, I think it's more jarring to hear, "They looked at all the options, but none was acceptable." None is singular, standing in for "not one", but it just doesn't sound right at all to me.

I think you are wrong here Jason. Your sentence should be written: They looked at all the options, but none were acceptable.

Simplify the sentence: [The] options were not acceptable.

What your sentence is essentially saying is: They looked at all the options, but none (of the many) were acceptable. I think it is fine to use were here because the adjective acceptable is a standard being applied to all of the options, not just one.

You could also write the sentence like this: They looked at all the options, but not a single one presented was acceptable.

Someone correct me if you think I'm wrong.
Also, don't forget that in English, we put an "s" on the end of a verb when used with a singular subject, but no "s" when used with a plural subject, or at least in many cases. I'm not sure I can fully recall this rule.

Rob walks in the morning.
They walk in the morning.

He talks quite a bit.
Bob and Laura both talk quite a bit.

She spends money like there is no tomorrow.
Steve and Mike spend money like there is no tomorrow.

In this example, The Anderson family spends money like there is no tomorrow, the verb spend does have an "s" at the end because the Anderson family is a single unit, or singular subject, in this sentence. However, The Andersons (plural) spend money like their is no tomorrow, because in this case, I am speaking of many individual people make who up the family unit.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service