Is there something wrong with an atheist booth at a gay pride event?

In my local atheist group we have discussed setting up a booth at the local gay pride day event to get some new members- the logic behind it being that these people were directly harmed by religion... it seemed to make sense to me. But I sent out a newsletter saying "okay this is what we're working on right now and we need donations desperately" one of those things was the booth (among a couple other things including a billboard and protesting our local city council who have decided to pray before meetings now) and I got a huge huge backlash of people telling me that we shouldn't get involved with gay people.. it was too controversial.. that i was trying to force my beliefs on them- that i just had an agenda because i am bisexual.. we even had about half a dozen people leave. So what are your thoughts on leaving out lgbt issues and the like from an atheist group? Some people even said if we did a gay pride booth then we should do a pro life booth.. again, what are your thoughts on this? I could really use some advice.. It just seems like specifically not doing this booth is saying "oh no, we can't get involved with *those* people". I should also add that about half of the people who spoke up about it were for the booth and half were against it (it was about 45% for and 55% against).

I try very hard to have activities for everyone and I know that not everyone will want to attend every meeting- some want a social group, some want an activist group.. we have things like this booth, the billboard, the city council thing, as well as plans for a helping the homeless program, adopt a highway, etc and we also have bowling nights, movie nights, dinner nights, and backyard BBQ's for people who just want to have some social time with non religious people.

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And what would they say about the church booths?
"Our good people to help them find god and renounce homosexuality..." ...would probably be their response.
they didn't respond to the fact that there would be church booths there.
yeah.. i think that's definitely what they're afraid of. a couple even said "but they might think atheists are all gay!" of course.. if you're AT the gay pride event you're likely not there to be against gay people (although there are occasionally church based protests)
That "if you stick up for gay rights, you must be gay" has been declining ever since the '90s or so. More and more non-gay people have been supportive of gay rights over the years...what a silly objection!
i agree! but this is still the bible belt i guess and some of the anti's are older.
Johannes S. writes:
***"It would definitely work, however, I'm not so sure what message it would send to the idio... I mean theists."

Your not sure what the message would be because atheism doesn't have a message.
the message would be that there's a safe place for gay people (bi, trans, etc) to be who they are without fear of oppression due to some stupid book. The message is kind of that there is no message.. that we don't have a dogma or holy book that says we should hate someone.
Here here! This is exactly what I think the message your booth would be sending; that there exists a open community of people that are atheist and that there are members of that community who care about LGBT issues. I say go for it.

As far as appearances (especially those of the theistic communities), who cares? Those who belong to a theistic community that believes that homosexuality is wrong are going to see members of LGBT community as not being right with God anyways - and we atheists would certainly be lumped in with that characterization. But the reason you would be there is not there to counter their biases (even if the theists attacked you for being there.) It would be to provide support to the LGBT community - that's what the event is all about.
No, the problem here is that they would get some sort of non-existent message off of it.
You should do it! LGBT people ARE harmed by the theists out there and MANY of them are atheists/agnostics. The people in your group who spoke up against it should reflect about the meaning of the term "freethinker". If you are out and proud atheists, why not stand up and show solidarity with the LGBT community while advertising your group at the same time?
Well, nothing wrong with outreach. Why wouldn't they want gay people or pro-life people around? What is the purpose of the group in the first place? If it is decidedly not involved in any kind of social advocacy then perhaps that is why people don't want to do it. But imo, what's the harm? Was prejudice involved you think?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service