Is there an atheist version of "gaydar"? In other words, how can you tell?

With so many 'coming out' stories about atheism, I was wondering if there is a way that atheists can identify one another without asking. In the gay world, it's 'gaydar' - noting the way that someone walks, talks, dresses, interacts with others, or somehow just "is".

I've had a few people, out of the blue (at work) volunteer to me that they are atheist. I didn't ask why, it just seemed like a topic for conversation at the time. Even though it's a very busy workplace and we don't chat much at all.

So I'm wondering, if there is a atheist version of 'gaydar'? Something that makes us think "that person looks like an atheist!". Maybe it's a lack of interest in Xmas, or that is the only person who never mentions going to church, or... what? Seeing that evolve-fish on their car - well, that's obvious. There must be something more subtle.

I've seen a similar situation with Mormons here. Fairly quickly, they seem to identify one another by mentions of their son on a mission, or their trip to Salt Lake City, or, I don't know, their most recent jello recipes. Key words, or key concepts, and maybe mannerisms, seem to help some like-minded people identify one another.

If there is such a 'early detection system', what is it called? Or what should it be called? Somehow 'heathenar' doesn't have that snappy sound.

Tags: coming, gaydar, out

Views: 141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that is probably true on me too. Most of my friends are either atheists... or very tolerant.
Wow, how shallow. "You? but youre so nice! As if an atheist cannot be nice.
I'm not sure if it's a-dar or something else, but people tell me things. I've learned to pick up the cues when they want to ask (there is a look) but are afraid to do so, probably from past experience. This has lead me to just volunteer the information and put everyone at ease. Weather they agree or not, it relieves the awkwardness of an unanswered question in the air.
Things like "Oh, I'm a total Atheist." tend to just pop out of my mouth when that tilted head slightly wrinkled brow thing begins in the person with whom I'm having the conversation. I'm glad I have, I found my neighbors out as 'non-believers' happiness for both families.
Relatively recently I became employed at a call center (huge office setting) and one day I was in the break room having lunch with fellow employees and religion comes up. Most of them are pretty hard-core Christians. One in particular was notably more hard-core than the rest. He was a "You need Jesus!"-Young-earth Creationist, a picture perfect stereotype of a fundy. When all heads turned to me I mentioned I don't believe in God, a simple statement of fact, without a blink or stutter from me. And once I stated that, others started coming out, even those that professed to be Christian a few moments earlier, started offering up there skeptical sides.

Well the YEC, being thoroughly indoctrinated, knew what he had to do, attempt to convert me. He had no idea what he was getting himself into. But I welcomed it with enthusiasm, and assured him I used to be exactly like him (which is the truth). This allowed him to be honest around me and be genuinely curious as to my change of mind. His first assumption was that someone had wronged me in the church which led me to hate God. It took a lot of convincing to dispel of this indoctrinated assumption.

I've since had many outings and conversations with him. And just the other day he confessed to me that after our conversations he is seeing more and more hypocrisy in the church when he attends. And more recently he has confided in me that he considers himself to be an agnostic and has now borrowed my books I've recommended him read. He is always thanking me for what I've done.

His current area of conflict is now with his church. He removed the Bible from his favorite books in Facebook and replaced it with "books with facts not myths." This has raised a lot of questions at his church. He's currently trying to find a good excuse to stop attendance (as he teaches the youth). I'm encouraging him to keep going and try to introduce the same skepticism I introduced to him in the youth group and with others at his church. But I'm not sure how well this will work out. I need to make sure he knows the location of all the escape routes just in case.

This relates to A-dar in that just like a radar, you first need to send an initial signal out, and wait for the return signals. When I did this in the break room, I learned in much more detail the specifics of each persons beliefs.
Congratulations! How fantastic to be able to help free a fellow human being from bondage and lies!
Are they reading a book in public? = possibly an atheist
Are they reading a non-fiction book in public? = probably an atheist
Are they reading a non-textbook science book in public? = almost certainly an atheist
Some possible clues: talking about science, saying things like "the Secret" are bullshit, not talking about things like "energy" and "vibes", otherwise talking about logic.

I did come out as atheist at my school, in front of my speech class! Before that, some hints I dropped: in a discussion of "how do we get morality if there is not as much religion?" I talked about how religion is not necessary for morality, when someone tried to say the Constitution allowed freedom of religion (meaning he thought it only means you can choose your religion, but you have to have one) I said that also includes freedom from religion...and in a discussion about the "keep Christ in Christmas" argument people have every year, I said Christ wasn't originally in Christmas.

You have to be careful about A-dar though b/c sometimes people think too hopefully in looking for others who are like them...and don't be thinking you have any supernatural senses now!
I can't tell. I have about concluded that I and my family are the only Atheist in North Ga. I would like to think that they are hidden around me but so far I have not met any others.
Mine must be broken. I was sure that a husband and wife at my work were, turns out they are Bosnian Muslims.
check for a chastity belt, dead giveaway.
I think a safe topic of conversation would be the separation of church and state. Asking people outright seems like inviting a debate about belief and non-belief (something I am not up for most of the time) and topics like abortion are too loaded with other connotations and potentially explosive.

I don't think there's any visual way to recognise an atheist... :) Unfortunately. Unless we set up something like Atheists Anonymous where atheists from all walks of life can meet and talk in a safe, non-judgemental environment. There might even be tea and biscuits.

I'm a freelancer, so my colleagues change on a fairly regular basis and the religion discussion comes up more frequently than I'd like. I think I've given myself away on many occasions simply by saying that I don't engage in discussions on politics, religion or sex with people I don't know well.
You will, however, engage in discussions with anybody on having sex with people you *do* know well? Yeah, it's usually best not to talk just anybody about those times when you didn't know the people well.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service