Is there an atheist version of "gaydar"? In other words, how can you tell?

With so many 'coming out' stories about atheism, I was wondering if there is a way that atheists can identify one another without asking. In the gay world, it's 'gaydar' - noting the way that someone walks, talks, dresses, interacts with others, or somehow just "is".

I've had a few people, out of the blue (at work) volunteer to me that they are atheist. I didn't ask why, it just seemed like a topic for conversation at the time. Even though it's a very busy workplace and we don't chat much at all.

So I'm wondering, if there is a atheist version of 'gaydar'? Something that makes us think "that person looks like an atheist!". Maybe it's a lack of interest in Xmas, or that is the only person who never mentions going to church, or... what? Seeing that evolve-fish on their car - well, that's obvious. There must be something more subtle.

I've seen a similar situation with Mormons here. Fairly quickly, they seem to identify one another by mentions of their son on a mission, or their trip to Salt Lake City, or, I don't know, their most recent jello recipes. Key words, or key concepts, and maybe mannerisms, seem to help some like-minded people identify one another.

If there is such a 'early detection system', what is it called? Or what should it be called? Somehow 'heathenar' doesn't have that snappy sound.

Tags: coming, gaydar, out

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh man, the Pledge of Allegiance.

After becoming an atheist, I realized that I didn't see the sense in saying the pledge anymore when we were called to do so at school. I didn't want to be questioned on why I wasn't saying it, though, so I recited it and just mouthed the "under god" part. But this year, when the student came on the intercom to lead everyone in saying it, I said to hell with it and sat down in silence.

I haven't gotten any questions about being an atheist from that, surprisingly. Eventually, a few other people started sitting down, too, and I've only gotten one question about why I wasn't saying it--to which I replied that one only needs to pledge allegiance to their country once in their life, not every morning. Not entirely truthful, but it deflected further questions.
I did that, too--reciting the pledge but being silent during "under God". The girl who sits in front of me noticed and decided to make up for it, so to speak...

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD!!, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

A bit much.

Nowadays I just don't say the pledge. I just stand up and be silent (we have to be standing right after the pledge anyway--my class then is chorus)
i was all out durring the pledge i didnt get up and play nor did i sit in silence i actually got up and turned my back on the class and the flag. Sometimes i would turn my chair around other i would stand facing the back instead of the front. There were those in class who remained sitting and ignored it, but sadly enough when they aproached me thinking i was one of them i quickly found out they didn't recite the Pledge becuase their only allegience was with god and the kingdom of heaven any other pledge or swaring was against their God. lol so the next day i started my new Pledge Behavior and as soon it reached Under god i made a loud extended Bleep edit noise the entire class got quiet as i finished the pledge all by myself, after that every one learned to ignore it and it was luckily political science class and the teacher accepted it was my form of protest against the censorship and alterations of other peoples work in the names of exclusioniary practices.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I can tell if people aren't theists here.
That or if they laugh at a religion mocking t-shirt.

What pisses me off is the idiots that assume because we live here we share their ignorant worldview.
Nothing pleases me more than having to listen to a fifteen minute rant by a dumbass redneck about how teh gayz or libruls or mexeecans or moozlims or the ayteeists are wrecking this country.
So yeah, if they don't act like a raging bigot for five minutes, I assume they're either an atheist or a really liberal christian.
Yeah, you can get one at Radioshack.....are there still Radioshacks?
I think, in reality, that it's quite difficult. I'm gay and an atheist and I think gaydar is much easier than 'A-dar' (good one, Bird Whisperer). But one thing I will say is that they are both potentially dangerous if you get them wrong!
I believe a lot of us have something that sets our "atheist detector" off. All of my friends are atheist, and we seem to be able to tell when someone is the same - or at least headed in this direction.

Whenever someone mentions god in a negative way, neglects conversations about religion, and never wants to go to church is a sure sign of skepticism.
ASSuming tends to bite you in the ass.
I also get in trouble for thinking/hoping someone is an atheist... I can't take someone completely seriously if they say they believe in a dude up in the clouds. Sometimes not knowing is better :(

For LDS/Mormon folk, look for the garment/underwear line. Apparently they sometimes do this hug where they can feel for the seams too.
So, what you are suggesting is that we all go commando and feel for each others' lack of underwear lines? Might be interesting but I think a few A|N members will object!
Perhaps it would be safer to develop some kind of secret handshake like the Masons? Feeling for underwear is gonna get you into trouble eventually!
Wow. Great question.

If you hear someone ask a person wearing a crucifix "What's the 't' stand for?" They're probably an Atheist.

Anyone around that laughs hysterically, or does not look offended, is also probably an Atheist.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
47 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
47 minutes ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
2 hours ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 hours ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service