I sure think he might be. He went to church steadily before he was elected, and I heard hasn't attended since(could be bullshit, I haven't checked back). He has also been a proponent for secularism, although this could just be his propensity for non-bias showing and not a statement of his beliefs.

Discuss.

Tags: Atheist, Closet, Obama

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Quoted from Wikipedia:

Obama is a Christian whose religious views developed in his adult life. In The Audacity of Hope, Obama writes that he "was not raised in a religious household". He describes his mother, raised by non-religious parents (whom Obama has specified elsewhere as "non-practicing Methodists and Baptists") to be detached from religion, yet "in many ways the most spiritually awakened person that I have ever known". He describes his father as "raised a Muslim", but a "confirmed atheist" by the time his parents met, and his stepfather as "a man who saw religion as not particularly useful". Obama explained how, through working with black churches as a community organizer while in his twenties, he came to understand "the power of the African-American religious tradition to spur social change". He was baptized at the Trinity United Church of Christ in 1988 and was an active member there for two decades. Obama resigned from Trinity during the Presidential campaign after controversial statements made by Rev. Jeremiah Wright became public.

Looks like he adopted Christianity for the same reasons Henri IV of France converted to Catholicism. Paris vaut bien une messe ("Paris is well worth a mass")
Given his biographical background, to date, it appears that Obama's primary goal is to implement his religious beliefs as public policy to the extent practically possible. If presenting the appearance of secularism and not going to church serves that purpose then so be it. He will probably not be going to church, at least until he gets re-elected, since (again, given his history) a church that would satisfy his particular religious sensibilities would not be considered respectable by the majority of American voters, even the ordinary christian ones.

To think that he might be a closet atheist, particularly in this forum, is to "hope" that he might be, which is precisely what he wants you to "think".
David said: " ... a church that would satisfy his particular religious sensibilities would not be considered respectable by the majority of American voters, even the ordinary christian ones."

David, you're surely haven't fallen for the Christian fundamentalist propaganda that Obama's a Muslim have you?
I think he means that Obama would probably fit in more with a liberal church. Probably something non-denominational. I hear a lot of mean things said about such places by the christian's I know.
No. Not at all.
Until he was elected, Obama went to a church, in Chicago, that preaches something called "liberation theology". Liberation theology is, more or less, extreme left-wing fundamentalism. When their doctrines are applied to politics the result is a somewhat extreme left or "liberal" political agenda. But on the religious side, belief in Jesus is fundamental. If you imagine a christian fundamentalist church that preaches that Jesus was a communist you'll have a rough idea of what it's about. The average American christian and the right-wingers would not be comfortable with a sitting President attending this kind of church.
Obama was a member of this church (the name of which I don't remember--and don't care enought to look up) for 20 years, had his kids baptised there and, I think, was married there. The cynical view is that he only attended this church to advance his political career, but he denies it; I'll take his word for it. When asked, some months ago, he stated that he had not yet found a church in Washington that he wanted to attend. Given these factors, it's not unreasonable to expect that he won't be going to church unless, or until, he finds a liberation church in Washington operating "under the radar". Or, until after he gets re-elected and doesn't have to care what the voters think anymore.
Thanks for clarifying, David.
I don't know, but I heard that his father is.
Obama's mother was an atheist. He had very little to do with his biological father. His step-father was also an atheist.
See this is what I was implying, of course I "hope" he secretly is one, and I know his religious background. But just in his actions and the atheism present in his family, that he seems driven by secularism. But of course anyone seems secular compared to Bush.
After having read both of his books I would have to say that he at the very least believes in belief. I have read, heard or seen nothing that would make me think he was an atheist in the sense that we are.
If he is an atheist, he is perhaps the worst atheist and best panderer ever in the history of everything.
In my opinion, it would be unwise for the President to go to church. I think it would be a security nightmare for the Secret Service.

I have also thought, just by a few of his comments that he is very xtian-lite.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service