I wanted to ask this for a while.....is it weird to be an atheist and not be into science?  I have never really been into science, so that had nothing to do with my becoming an atheist. For me, I just figured out all of the superstition, and silly stuff credited to god and religion were bull. 

I guess I just need to meet more atheists, and remember that we are not all alike.  We think different things, like different things and are as individual as any other group out there.  It just feels to me, sometimes, like scientific minds reach this more quickly or easily.  I could be wrong....

Views: 399

Replies to This Discussion

Your comment is logical and bears the mark of good sense. Today what you say is truer than it would've been in 16th century Rome because there was a time when few occupations or professions would have engendered many imaginative critiques of the Bible. You may be granting to much uncommonly good sense to the medieval mind that was not there until the Enlightenment. Then it was science and science alone that spearheaded that flourishing period of human development and led to the perspectives of modern civilization from which you are now opining. 
The tendency to see science and religion in adversarial relations to one another is old feud and that is the only point I meant to make. Also, I do agree with you completely on the basic requirement for valid self-identification as an atheist.

Loren, I find something else significant too. Xianity describes humankind as fallen from a state of grace, evicted from Eden, born with original sin, living in a vale (pr. valley) of tears, etc, etc and etc. Pessimistic beyond description.

In contrast, sharp contrast when it's given some thought, atheism makes inevitable a realization that humankind arose from blue-green algae (aka pond scum).

We've come a long way, and many Republicans want to restore the law of the jungle.

No, you're RIGHT! Atheists and agnostics are just as varied as any other group of humans. From my observations, the people on AN run the same gamut as any religious group, from those that are hostile to religion and want to smash it, to those who want to live and let live. From those who want to be friendly and present a positive view of atheism to those who are downright combative. Mind you, I'm NOT criticizing anyone, just observing. My style is my own, and far be it from me to put down someone else's feelings on the subject.

So you can be just who you are, and you DON'T need to be interested in any specific thing. It would just be nice to hear about what interests YOU, and maybe I can even learn something from you! :-)

Nah, it's fine. And anyway, who cares about being weird?

I can't talk about science fluently, although when I do understand it I like it.

I agree 100%

I suppose it's no more strange than a man like Robert T. Bakker. He is not just a world leading paleontologist with PhDs from both Harvard and Yale, but also a Pentecostal Minister.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_T._Bakker

Here's a partial list, some scientists, but also composers, poets, artists...fascinating. 

http://jmarkgilbert.com/atheists.html

Did you know that the man who wrote "God Bless America" and "White Christmas" (Irving Berlin) was an atheist.  True.

So was Katharine Hepburn.

And my personal favorite:

Robert A. Heinlein, American science-fiction author (1907-1988).
Being a fiction author, all Heinlein left us is quotations from characters in his novels. There are lots to choose from, here are a couple from Lazarus Long in Time Enough for Love:
"History does not record anywhere or at any time a religion that has any rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive considerable pleasure from fiddling with it."
"Any priest or shaman must be presumed guilty until proven innocent."

Scan the list, you'll be surprised.

PS: I forgot to add that while science (especially astronomy) can thrill me, my main passion for most of my life has been ice skating.  That's why I sometimes call myself Sk8eycat.

I was only average at it, I did NOT ever want to be a competitive skater at all.  I was lucky enough to land a job as a chorus girl in one of the "Big Three" ice shows in 1957, and got to tour the US for as long as I could.  A dream fulfilled.

I lost interest in the "sport" when they started changing the rules to make it more excitiing for the couch potatoes who tune into wide World of Sports while they eat chips, dip, and drink soda or beer, and wonder why they're growing a "spare tire.", and it became nothing but a jumping contest set to music.

Good stuff, sk8eycat. Thanks.

thanks for the list sk8eycat

Hi Rhonda. In my case I who always loved science was handed the stumbling block of 12 consecutive years of Christian Doctrine in Parochial education.
My grammar school received a new wing commissioned and built by one of it's successful alums. This beautiful structure contained a science lab with cabinets for Bunsen burners and sinks at the laboratory stations for the students to clean the slides and other aspects of inquiry.
The whole time I went to that evil place the labs remained locked. We, the curious mad to content ourselves with pressing our noses against the door glass to sneak a view of the future we never got to participate in.
Hi Rhonda. In my case I who always loved science was handed the stumbling block of 12 consecutive years of Christian Doctrine in Parochial education.
My grammar school received a new wing commissioned and built by one of it's successful alums. This beautiful structure contained a science lab with cabinets for Bunsen burners and sinks at the laboratory stations for the students to clean the slides and other aspects of inquiry.
The whole time I went to that evil place the labs remained locked. We, the curious mad to content ourselves with pressing our noses against the door glass to sneak a view of the future we never got to participate in.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service