Looking at the news, definitely not in the US Northeast.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, we've had some unseasonably warm weather, which awakened the daffodils, peaches, plums, and apricots.  All in bloom in my yard, but there may be frost damage to the delicate fruit blossoms.  We had our first rhubarb pie yesterday, now a tradition of Spring.  We've also had scallions, and Chinese Chives, which we use for a dumpling filling.  A neighbor threw away 2 wine barrels, we scarfed them up, cut in half, drilled holes in the bottoms, and filled with potting soil.  Planted radishes, mesclun, spinach, and carrot seeds, then covered with a plastic tent to hold in warmth.  They are growign rapidly too.

Wow, only February.  I plant with full knowledge that it may be a false "promise" of Spring, but also knowing that, if I don't try, I may miss an opportunity for early treats.

This week, I'll plant chili pepper seeds in the window sill, and in 2 weeks, plan to do the same with tomatoes.  They take 6 to 8 weeks to reach outside-size, and by then it should really be Spring!

Tags: Spring, garden

Views: 23

Replies to This Discussion

Both color varieties of wild violets (Viola sororia) in this area are blooming: The Common Blue (which is really purple), and the white with purple variety. I'm amazed that some people see them as weeds, and try to eradicate them from their yard. I love them! They are also edible.
I once sugared about 200 violets for a friend's wedding cake. My mother and I went out in the morning and picked them, then spent the rest of the day sugaring them (paint with egg white, coat with superfine sugar, let dry 2 weeks). We also did some pansies. It looked fantastic (and tasted great!). And I will never do it again.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Loren Miller replied to James M. Martin's discussion Officer Who Shot Brown in Ferguson Might Not Be Playing With Full Deck, Saying He Was Assaulted by "Demon"
18 minutes ago
Plinius replied to Randall Smith's discussion Finding Your Roots in the group Hang With Friends
29 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to James M. Martin's discussion Officer Who Shot Brown in Ferguson Might Not Be Playing With Full Deck, Saying He Was Assaulted by "Demon"
29 minutes ago
booklover replied to James M. Martin's discussion Officer Who Shot Brown in Ferguson Might Not Be Playing With Full Deck, Saying He Was Assaulted by "Demon"
35 minutes ago
booklover commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
38 minutes ago
Plinius replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion This is the 1000th thread in the ORIGINS GROUP. Thank you everybody. in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
40 minutes ago
Gail C. Rendle replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
48 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Ermias Asfaw's blog post Another thought bubble ...
51 minutes ago
Nick Bottom replied to Randall Smith's discussion Finding Your Roots in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud replied to Tom Sarbeck's discussion Wandering Words in the group LINGUAPHILES & SESQUIPEDALIANS
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud liked Tom Sarbeck's discussion Wandering Words
1 hour ago
Idaho Spud replied to Randall Smith's discussion Finding Your Roots in the group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service