I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 10828

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And describing something as philosophical does not mean the philosophers are the only ones that can officially say anything about it. 

... Did I ever say they were?

Wait, I'll answer that: No, I never said that.

I must admit, arguing with Philosophers is like talking to a fundie. Science cannot wait to share what it has newly discovered. Science shares information readily. But Philosophers act like a fundie who is being confronted about his/her beliefs when someone challenges them.
Could you be a bit more specific?  What philosophers have you "confronted" who "acted like a fundie"?
I am not looking for trouble. I am just making a point. They know who they are.
I admit that I had no idea that there was an argument happening... ROFL.  I suppose that the philosophical arguments being presented have surpassed my bank of accumulated knowledge to such a degree that I cannot follow.  I have not personally thought about the things being argued about in this post.  Now I will take exception to TNT666 when he is talking about "pro sports watchers" and factory workers.  Making generalizations like that is not helpful and I would also like to know where 80% comes from?  Is this your gut feel?  How do you "know" that 4 out of 5 people make "no effort"?  If you think that working in a factory requires only heavy lifting then you have probably never worked in one.  
I do agree with you on one point, I love scientists but philosophers tend to irritate me because mostly they just keep arguing deeper and deeper into a concept until it is unrecognizable and then when you are scratching your head they just claim victory, stick their nose in the air and walk off to the next unsuspecting factory worker.  Cheers 

I have had similar experiences with philosophers.

To change the subject, can you or anyone else answer this question:

How do you define the word religion?

Brushing off my knowlege of Latin, religion (re-legio) means a "re-linking"... connecting us to our origins.  Of course Latin is a dead language as is the case of religion...a dead end....leading us to an omnipotent  God in which I am 100% certain I have no faith exists at all.
im 100% sure there is no god. i will reemain 100% sure until im presented with testable measureable proof that it exists
Testable proof of god is oxymoronic.
I'll toast to that... might be indeed my new response to many godly conversations. I was already using oxymoronic for freedom of religion conversations, but it certainly applies even better here.
cant help you, im an oxymoron.  um atheist pastor....cant help it, its my RL name
god fearing people will constantly move the definition of god to ensure his non-un-provability, there will never be that kind of evidence, it is impossible by definition.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Rick Springfield replied to Luara's discussion Global culture
18 minutes ago
Luara commented on Konopek Karl-Heinz's status
3 hours ago
Gia joined Dr. Terence Meaden's group
3 hours ago
Plinius replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Vegetable stir fry in the group Food!
5 hours ago
Dyslexic's DOG replied to Carrot Hare's discussion Atheists around the world! ASSEMBLE!
6 hours ago
k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
6 hours ago
roland707 posted a discussion
6 hours ago
TNT666 replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
7 hours ago
roland707 replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
7 hours ago
Konopek Karl-Heinz posted a status
"This to A Wise Atheist humiliates Frank Turek in a debate about god – YouTube"
7 hours ago
Konopek Karl-Heinz posted a status
"Hi long time no here !!! look at this if you like A Brief History of Disbelief Atheism Documentary Episode 2 - YouTube"
7 hours ago
booklover commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
7 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service