I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 8872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, Sonny, you're right. I don't really believe there's a chance in hell that there's a God. I prefer to reserve a sliver of a doubt, for the reasons stated.
You can't prove the existence of God either way. I am a free thinker so I tend to leave at least 3 braincells open to the idea that anything is possible. It would take God himself coming down and turning me into a toad or something along that lines. If I am wrong and he does excist, then I am sure that I wouldn't worship him either, he is definatly not a loving God in my eyes.
I am of a similar mindset. The other day a friend tried to tell me I couldn't be an atheist because if a God were to appear to me I would have to believe. I replied that history and evidence are so overwhelmingly against that ever happening that I wasn't concerned- and wouldn't worship it anyway.
99.5. Mostly because I like that number. In other words, I'm not 100%. But that 0.5 is not really relevant, so I behave 100% as if there were no god.
All the sureness I am capable of manifesting.
Yes 100%
Yes 100%
I want to thank everyone for their thoughts on this discussion. I want everyone to know that I have no doubts about my atheism but I reserve that small possibility(about .0000001%) that some scientific proof might come along in the future that would change my mind. Not the kind of proof that those crazy "flat earthers" put forth, but actual real proof. Like god coming down and telling me I was wrong. Even then I would talk to a therapist to check that I was still sane before I trusted myself.
"Like god coming down and telling me I was wrong. Even then I would talk to a therapist to check that I was still sane before I trusted myself."

Even if a therapist confirmed that you are sane, how could you be sure that whatever you are perceiving is an actual god, however you define that? Any being with technology sufficiently more advanced than our own could be perceived as a god.
HEY NOW!!! I do object to the conctept of comparing some minutely impossible reality of a God versus the possiblility that the Earth is in fact flat. I have a very compelling argument for the latter which is in no way comparable to the former. And even though all scientific research is based on perception before anything else, the fact that the Earth can VERY WELL be phsyically comprehensible as flat is nowhere NEAR the absurdity of the "tangent to the line" of the non-exisitenct of God.

Of course, I will not give out the propositon in perception of the flatness of the Earth without a "Hell Yah!" from you and the folks out here. What I find in life is a dichotomy of intellectualism that is comparable with ethnocentrism of cultural biases. And it is quite Yucky!!!

You want proof of the flatness of the Earth? I got it! You want proof of God? Good Luck!

:)
I'm not 100% sure of anything.
Great post. Religion isn't just a business, It's a whole goddam industry ! The gross annual take, just in America is close to a hundred BILLION Dollars--untaxed.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service