I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 11136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm 99.999% sure that Yahweh doesn't exist, nor any other abrahamic or other deity people have in their heads exists. why? Because he hasn't come back to tell of his deeds. The deeds ascribed to him, were things that didn't happen because of some agency.

Other than that, I'm 100% sure that the universe and her laws exist. So Einstein's God is real.

There might be a "God" or higher power but if there is, then it's nothing like the one described in the Bible or other man-made religions.
The problem I have in saying that there might be a "God" or "higher power" is that the terms are incredibly vague. It becomes like saying "a mythological creature might exist out there".

And that's how I like to keep it, personally - vague...and it's nothing our minds could even comprehend anyway if it did exist.  I have no interest in making an organisation or institution of what could be out there and make it into some club.  I'd be just as happy if no higher power was out there.  (I do believe in ghosts though, if that says anything.)

Anyway, what I AM sure about is that there isn't some motherly/fatherly power out there who rewards the good, punishes the bad and protects people.  In other words, s*** happens and I find that more easy to accept than believing in a God who allows children to be born without a chance and takes them away within an hour of life "because he has a role for them in heaven".  What utter...

The federal government is a higher power, higher than the state powers. Just saying. Its just too vague to actually describe something, so its not possible to say whether you believe in it or not when you get that vague.

You're right, a supreme being above our universe and would be beyond our comprehension, but that would mean we couldn't believe in it anyway, as we couldn't know if its existence. Therefore, anything we know of, just can't be it.

I am 99% sure there is no God.

God 100% exists or God 100% doesn't exist. Pick one. 

I choose God 100% doesn't exist. And I'm 100% sure of it.

As for scientific proof of gods existence or non-existence:.

I say keep atheism and religion out of science.

I also say keep religion and atheism out of politics.

But using a scientific approach to determine good policy in regards to infrastructure, education etc, it's the only way.

Good for you if you think God 100% exists or 100% doesn't exist.  I don't want to pick one and I don't have to.  I came to this forum to discuss my own philosophy of life because I hate how organised religion urges you to follow a set of rules agreed upon by some self-proclaimed authority who doesn't know anymore than I do.  I'd appreciate if no one laid out a set of conditions for me to agree or not agree with.  If you expect me to, then I guess this is not the type of message board or community for me.

I am interested in your philosophy of life and am looking forward to reading about it.

I'm not imposing the 100% statement on anybody, it's what my final conclusion about gods existence comes down to. Either he exists or he doesn't exist. But I am more than willing to listen to a 3rd alternative.

I say 99% because absolute certainty doesn't exist.

Playing devil's advocate, can we be absolutely certain that absolute certainty doesn't exist?

Is our certainty really limited in that fashion?  Can we not be absolutely certain that gravity will be in effect tomorrow morning?  If it weren't, it wouldn't matter much that we were wrong~ the universe as we know it would not be here.  Certain things, surely, can be assigned absolute certainty, for if those who were certain are wrong, we won't be here to know.  

No, but I'm 99.999 % certain that absolutely certainty doesn't exist. I'm pretty sure gravity will be in effect tomorrow, to about 99.999%. Can we be absolutely certain that gravity will be in effect tomorrow morning? I'm 99.999% sure it will. But what if there is some unknown law of physics that will coincidently make gravity cease to affect us between now and then? We don't know of such, but it could exist.

I'd say near absolute certainty, because ultimately we're trusting our senses to be giving us correct information not just about the universe, but what the tools we use to decode it are saying about it.  I don't want to derail too much. But its more a philosophical position, because in practice, I act as if I'm absolutely certain.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service